Banned from Google+, Anonymous creates Anonplus

Emil

Staff

Google has reportedly banned a handful of Anonymous members from Google+ (it's not exactly clear how many accounts were shut down). The hacktivist group likened Google's actions to the stories of activists being banned from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, as well as governments blocking various websites using Internet censorship tools. As a result, Anonymous has decided to create its own social network: Anonplus, located at anonplus.com.

Currently, the site has only been announced. At the bottom left hand corner, it says "Revision :0.1 Alpha." While this version number is meant to indicate that the site is still very early in development, it's not a social network yet. There is no way to sign up or interact. Currently there's just one webpage with the Anonplus name, the motto "Social Networking Anonymously," and the heading "Welcome to Anonplus.com the Anonymous Social Networking site."

The only link is to the Dev Forum, which uses the Zetaboards forum software, and isn't even on the anonplus.com domain name. There are four subforums set up: The Logic, The Interface, General Chatter, and Staff Postions. At the time of writing, the forum already had over 100 registered members.

This initiative is an odd one because it jibes with what Anonymous is all about: getting things done anonymously. Still, it is technically possible to build a social network that doesn't share anything with anyone unless you specifically give it permission to. In fact, Anonplus will probably not encourage sharing information like your full name and location. Either way, the goal appears to be to build a social network where you can say and do anything you want.

"This is one social network that will not tolerate being shut down, censored, or oppressed - even in the face of blackout," an Anonymous spokesperson wrote in a statement. "We the people have had enough…enough of governments and corporations saying what's best for us - what's safe for our minds. The sheep era is over. The interwebz are no longer your prison."

Permalink to story.

LOL! I thought that was what 4chan was for. Anonymous social networking.

Just redirect that Anon+ website to go to /b/, you don't actually have to build anything.

I might be able to guess the answer to my question: how does Google know who is a member of Anonymous? Doesn't that mean they really aren't anonymous?

little kids who got beat up at school, no social skills and mentally troubled. Best thing to do is ignore them.

The opposite side of the coin to ignoring them is for some corporate entity to hire a private military firm to hunt and 'capture' these dullards.

Both work for me.

Somebody needs to find them a better writer who isn't relying on cliches from every big brother / conspiracy movie ever made. And Guy Fawkes masks? Really?

Strange, the comments people make against the members of Anonymous. I would have thought everyone would be on board with their goal of freedom of information, even if you might not agree with the methods they use.

freedom of information is one thing,
melodramatic showmanship of teenage boys inspired by comic book superheroes is an entirely differant matter..

Guest said:
little kids who got beat up at school, no social skills and mentally troubled. Best thing to do is ignore them.

The opposite side of the coin to ignoring them is for some corporate entity to hire a private military firm to hunt and 'capture' these dullards.

Both work for me.

Your ignorant way of thinking is what makes people like them into who they are.

Maybe if you weren't a total ******* to everyone who isn't like you, there'd be more people willing to socialize rather than hide because society treats them like ****.

"freedom of information is one thing,
melodramatic showmanship of teenage boys inspired by comic book superheroes is an entirely differant matter.. "

As I said before, you agree with the message, and not the methods.
You seem to be one of the people who sits by and criticises the people who are actually on OUR side. I'd stop and consider their goals, before judging them in such a cynical way.

However melodramatic their style may be, it's attracting a lot of attention, and helps them spread the word. So good for them.

ramonsterns said:
Guest said:

Both work for me.

Your ignorant way of thinking is what makes people like them into who they are.

Maybe if you weren't a total ******* to everyone who isn't like you, there'd be more people willing to socialize rather than hide because society treats them like ****.

I agree with this ramon.

Kids beat up at school isn't the problem, its the kids doing the beating.

No social skills means that they may have not been raised in a 10 bedroom luxury house like everyone else right?

And mentally troubled. Seriously?

Techspot needs to get rid of this "Guest" commenting already because it allows "anonymous" people to post stupid stuff.

lol, look at all the ''members' getting butt hurt over the previous guest comments, looks like he hit WAY to close to home for their liking.

Some nerd mook who hacks into your FB account because he doesn't like that you managed to get the girl he was too afraid to talk to. e proceeds to get you fired and alienate numerous friends and family.
Any you wonder why some of these guys get the crap beat out of them.

It's been shown to a high degree that the avg. high end hacker has some from of OCPD. most of the symptoms would easily make these .. people.. social pariah.

these ****** aren't about freedoms, everything do deny's people access to systems and information that allow them to lead 'free' lives. What this is, is a bunch of plonkers who, ( as the original, hypothetical , example puts forth), are nothing more then cry babies who don't have the guts to face a physical reality, they choose to hide lash out like 4 year old's and make life miserable for others all the time hiding in the shadows like rats.

I look forward tot he day when more of these rats are caught and sent to jail.

I for one am glad Anonymous is doing this. Hell, I'd join them if I knew even a fraction of the things they do about hacking, but sadly my education only goes so far as a Jonny Miller/Angelina Jolie film. Damn you hollywood. -_-

At least they are not sending out special ops forces to third world countries to murder those who do not give them good prices on trade goods.

"This initiative is an odd one because it jibes with what Anonymous is all about: getting things done anonymously." -- Please look up "jibe" in a fscking dictionary! That statement is self-contradictory.

Guest said:
lol, look at all the ''members' getting butt hurt over the previous guest comments, looks like he hit WAY to close to home for their liking.

Some nerd mook who hacks into your FB account because he doesn't like that you managed to get the girl he was too afraid to talk to. e proceeds to get you fired and alienate numerous friends and family.
Any you wonder why some of these guys get the crap beat out of them.

It's been shown to a high degree that the avg. high end hacker has some from of OCPD. most of the symptoms would easily make these .. people.. social pariah.

these ****** aren't about freedoms, everything do deny's people access to systems and information that allow them to lead 'free' lives. What this is, is a bunch of plonkers who, ( as the original, hypothetical , example puts forth), are nothing more then cry babies who don't have the guts to face a physical reality, they choose to hide lash out like 4 year old's and make life miserable for others all the time hiding in the shadows like rats.

I look forward tot he day when more of these rats are caught and sent to jail.

You complain about people with OCD and yet display obvious signs of being a full-blown sociopath.

I think that... putting lots of dots in between clauses... makes them look a... bit... silly...

And on the actual subject matter - Who the hell's gonna trust guys who regularly hack into companies to stead their username, email, passwords with my own username, email & password directly?

Their current goals are more directed towards protesting against censorship and opressio, not "regularly hacking into companies to steal information". A quick look at their protests against Sony (helping the defence of GeoHot), the Westboro Baptist Church, and their actions during the elections in Iran shows that their intentions are good. Their support of sites such as Wikileaks also shows their dedication to freedom of information.

I personally like Anonymous. They go against the government officials who openly state they need to keep secrets from us "for our own good". I'd rather not be deliberately kept in the dark. If you guys want to retain your prejudice of them as socially stunted nerds (as the Westboro Baptist Church do), then go ahead.

they do fight for the right cause. like visa and mastercard blocking wikileaks, churc of scientology and so on.(sorry about english)

Anyone who doesn't understand, or disagrees with a need for, government secrecy is absolutely too stupid to vote and maybe to run around free. If our governments were completely transparent in all actions, it would compromise the ability to protect you from the groups who are not. Those same groups have made it clear that they do not want anything but an end to America and our (mostly) free society.

And by the way, Einstein, an Al Qaeda terrorist does not care that you "protested" or complained or participated in the opposition or anything. You will die just the same as the rest of us.

Hilariously you have chosen to post anonymously. Looks like you're just one of them trying to get people riled up. Keep up the good work fellow anti-socialite. (I know that's what you are, don't deny it)

Back