Barnes & Noble announces the GlowLight 4, its second Nook device this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Barnes & Noble has announced a new eReader that’ll soon be joining the Nook line. The Nook GlowLight 4 features a 6.0-inch (300 DPI) display with a built-in lens that resists glare, fingerprints and scratches. It packs 32GB of local memory, of which 29.1GB is accessible for Nook Store purchases and side-loaded content.

The reader is compatible with 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, and can connect to free Wi-Fi at all Barnes & Noble stores and at 30,000 AT&T hotspots nationwide. Battery life is rated at approximately one month on a single charge, although your mileage will vary depending on usage. Improved physical page-turning buttons and a soft-touch finish are said to provide a more comfortable reading experience.

Notably, this is the first Nook eReader with a USB-C charger, and the lightest Nook eReader to date.

Barnes & Noble CEO James Daunt said the company is investing significantly in its Nook line of products, noting that this is the second device to launch this year. “The team is working steadfastly to develop new Nook products, and we are delighted to see such a strong pipeline of innovation into 2022,” Daunt added.

The company's first Nook device of 2021 came back in March courtesy of a partnership with Lenovo.

The Nook GlowLight 4 launches on December 8 priced at $149.99, and is backed by a one-year warranty. Barnes & Noble also has an assortment of folio cases starting at $19.99, with more accessories scheduled to land early next year. If you're more of a Kindle person, Amazon's latest Paperwhite reader is priced at a comparable $139.99.

Permalink to story.

$150 and you still have to buy the book. With the size of cellphones these days, I personally couldn't bring myself to pay that. I happen to have a Nook from about 10 years ago that my wife uses from time to time. I was interested when I saw this headline, but not for $150. Just felt the need to say that. Carry on.

$150 and you still have to buy the book. With the size of cellphones these days, I personally couldn't bring myself to pay that. I happen to have a Nook from about 10 years ago that my wife uses from time to time. I was interested when I saw this headline, but not for $150. Just felt the need to say that. Carry on.

You know there is a lot of free books out there - most classics - I suppose it depends on your circumstances - walk past bookstores on way to work, well stocked library nearby.
I have thought about this - I often carried upto 10 books in my travels ( often away 18 months - developing countries ) - not having the option of a kindle meant reading books I would never have chosen normally - scouring the main towns for english books - baked in the sun , or the start of mildew- swapping with other people I met .
It's that - I so sufficient/resourceful I need nobody vs I have a problem , so I need to meet other people .
Now I think the Celestine Prophesy is a complete load of baloney - but tourists were reading it on the road - so I did to see what the fuss was about . Yet it's kind of true - those mishaps - broken down car, snowed in at the resort etc can lead to new friendships and experiences .- so maybe you are right get out to the book store/garage sales the library and get the full experience .
As John Donne famously quoted "No book is an Island" ( google research says this is a common quote )

The early e-reader had some personality which is hard to say about an electronic device. The current crop of E-readers are bland as baby food. They have "features" whatever those may be. For an item that purports to allow you to be an individual they are all remarkably the same. I am glad they are not as self status inducing as "phones". E-Readers are the only way to go though for this kid. I can't read a 1000 page hardcover in bed.

The early e-reader had some personality which is hard to say about an electronic device. The current crop of E-readers are bland as baby food. They have "features" whatever those may be. For an item that purports to allow you to be an individual they are all remarkably the same. I am glad they are not as self status inducing as "phones". E-Readers are the only way to go though for this kid. I can't read a 1000 page hardcover in bed.
I bought myself a Kobo Sage the other day - want to get back into reading - figured with that and a detached surface pro I hardly use - as sold my business - should cover my needs for books to magazines & comics .
Like the night lights, can change fonts and size . Gone are the days as a kid reading in the near dark no matter how tiny the font - Age has taken my close focus - still better than average acuity and night vision - miss out slightly on colour vision - not enough for real life - just to struggle on those tests with a few samples - I know I could cheat and say "C" instead of "O" and if I look real close I can see both a C & O.

You know there is a lot of free books out there - most classics - I suppose it depends on your circumstances - walk past bookstores on way to work, well stocked library nearby.
I have thought about this - I often carried upto 10 books in my travels ( often away 18 months - developing countries ) - not having the option of a kindle meant reading books I would never have chosen normally - scouring the main towns for english books - baked in the sun , or the start of mildew- swapping with other people I met .
It's that - I so sufficient/resourceful I need nobody vs I have a problem , so I need to meet other people .
Now I think the Celestine Prophesy is a complete load of baloney - but tourists were reading it on the road - so I did to see what the fuss was about . Yet it's kind of true - those mishaps - broken down car, snowed in at the resort etc can lead to new friendships and experiences .- so maybe you are right get out to the book store/garage sales the library and get the full experience .
As John Donne famously quoted "No book is an Island" ( google research says this is a common quote )
Great points (and story, I might add). And it's funny you mention the free classics. My nook is loaded with them. Still, I haven't picked up that Nook in years except to charge it for my wife once every six months or so. I am, however, a huge fan of audio books. Still, if I'm going to tote around a $1,000 supercomputer nearly every minute of the day, I'll just read my eBooks there.

I prefer a physical book. Better for your eyes. Unless electronic devices deal with the blue light, there will be a lot of blind seniors in the years to come. Am I wrong?

Back