Best 939 cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucpproto

i have the opteron 165 as listed in my system specs take a loook running at 2.95ghz i want something beeter but i dont wana change mobo and ram just cpu and ideas or am i already good enogh

The only "better" CPU you'd get would be one of the X2's {dual core}.

I doubt you'd be able to get them to overclock like your Opteron though.

{I had a 144 @2.8GHz for ages - the Opterons were a great CPU}.

There were dual core Opty's - the 2xx series, but I'd imagine they'd be hard to find, even used.

To remind you... AMD is no longer manufacture the socket 939.

They manufactures the Socket 940 and AM2 .

You probably far off trying the ebay instead.

You can still get new 939 X2's if you look around, {even here, in Perth, one shop nearby has s939 4200+ X2's for about $90} but Opterons would be a different story- they were snapped up by Enthusiasts as soon as they came out!

Fragrant Coit said:
You can still get new 939 X2's if you look around, {even here, in Perth, one shop nearby has s939 4200+ X2's for about $90} but Opterons would be a different story- they were snapped up by Enthusiasts as soon as they came out!
my opteron 165 is dual core..what were snapped up by enthusasits? someone said i have the best and fastest 939 i cant get higher on 939

I have an Opteron 175 I don't use any more. I also have a FX-60 but I'm still using that. He meant the Opterons were snapped up as soon as they came out.

I thought the 1xx were single core , the 2xx Dual, my bad.

You couldn't get any better. There's no point "Upgrading" to AM2, basically exactly the same performance.

Umm what's your HTT at? Your memory would have to be at 327MHz (impossible as far as I know) to get your processor to 2.95Ghz without a divider.

The fastest memory I have is DDR600 or PC4800 and I only have a single gigabyte of it but you have 2GB of very fast memory or you're using a memory divider. Memory divider bad; bad memory divider.

If you're able to find an FX-60 for fairly cheap you can remove the divider and easily reach 3.0GHz with your memory at 250MHz. DDR500 or PC4000 can still be found. If you removed the divider your processor performance would go up and the memory performance would go with it. There are still FX-60s on Ebay but they are a bit expensive considering that a good Core2Duo is $100.00 less and will kick the crap out of it.

You'd have to invest in a peltier and a 24 volt PSU designed for the peltier to make the FX-60 much faster than 3.0GHz. Even if you did that and managed to reach 3.6GHz stable the good Core2Duo at the same operating frequency would still kick the crap out of it.

If you want more frame rates at a reduced cost you're going to have to invest in another 7950GT.

Cinders said:
Memory divider bad; bad memory divider

ALL AMD-64 based CPUs use memory dividers! since there is no FSB on AMD-64 systems the RAM speed is determined by a divider of the internal CPU speed.

AMDs have plenty of bandwidth due to hyper-transport, the larger memory dividers don't hurt performance as much as they hurt Intel's. but regardless, the performance increase gained by the faster clock speed will easily offset any performance loss due to using a larger memory divider

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back