Best Buy charging $30 for free PS3 firmware update

Emil

Staff

Best Buy's Geek Squad is generally known as a group that grossly overcharges for services that cost very little to perform, but this one takes the cake. The Staten Island, New York store is offering 120GB PS3 Slims for $329.98, which is an extra $29.99 on top of what the console goes for. Their explanation? The surcharge is for a firmware upgrade, according to Dual Shockers.

A typical system update requires about three button presses (system menu => system updates => update), not to mention if you try to play online or access the PlayStation Store, it will take even less effort because firmware updates are mandatory for those services. You can see how Best Buy is marketing the firmware update after the jump:

Best Buy's firmware update is an optional service, and no one has to purchase it. Nevertheless, the way Best Buy is advertising it is very unfair to new uneducated PS3 consumers. The retailer is making it seem like if you don't get the firmware update for $30, you're losing out. In reality, you're just getting ripped off.

Permalink to story.

not sure why the 120GB models are still selling for $300 in the first place... same price as 160GB

Best Buy is always looking to squeeze a bit more out of your wallet with these "special services"

Yeah, but can it run Crysis 2?

Ops, sorry, that didn't apply here.

If you didnt have an online connection at home then you dont need to mess about to play the newest games. Good service if it was free. 30 dollars is a pisstake.

Actually the firmware updates do take considerable time....and if you don't have a internet connection at home and want the latest .. greatest... this might be the ticket. But it's still a ripoff ...lol

ha..so what else is new..Apple have been ripping people off for years.
Some times 3 button clicks are too difficult for some people but yet they can kick your button at street fighter....well maybe not these people.
Sad but a fact of life.

Guest said:
Yeah, but can it run Crysis 2?

Ops, sorry, that didn't apply here.

Big LOL :p .. sorry!

hello ...

this is way to much to pay for something free, someone not having the firmware, can get it on USB drive elsewhere & get the system to be updated, i guess everyone has friends :)

still, if you don't go online you don't need update, if you play new games then if required the firmware will be on the disc too ...

I'm sure they already downloaded the FW once & they do updates out USB drives, it's not as if they were updating online each time !!!

@ 1st when i saw this article on another site, i thought was a joke ...

cheers!

Sorry, can Sony step in and tell best buy to F off? Seriously, that's just wrong, immoral and sad.

Stores like Best Buys need to have ther managers/Executives fired for advertising for non sence services like upgrading a firmware to avoid "glitches". This is just plain advantage of taking peoples money.

And if you havn't notice all of there sales team people are 16-19 yr old kids. So if you ever looking for a part time job...Good luck. The will NEVER hire you...LOL

Its called RETAIL every retail store has their bullshit they try to sell you. The price is fair though for the time it take for their geek squad agents to preform the flash.

I wonder if it's just that store or if people haven't noticed it at others. A while back probably sometime around last year I noticed when going to the local Best Buy that they were charging that same amount to upgrade your Wii.

I remember the good old days when Best Buy actually cared about their customers, and had decent prices for a large retailer. In the last several years though, they've begun overcharging for everything. The FTC should investigate Best Buy for price gouging on this.

Wow....

Who buys a Ps3 at Best Buy anyway? I'll stick with Walmart lol. Best buy will be next to shutter its doors.

^I refuse to buy anything at walmart unless i absolutely have to... i.e close to death.

a new Ultimate Electronics store opened up right down the street from Best Buy where i live, which is where i will be making my bigger purchases from now on. not quite as big of a selection but prices are lower, it's not as crowded and there aren't as many nagging sales associates that hang around. as for the PS3, i bought mine right at Game Stop one day out of the blue. that's when the 120GB slim first came out so $300 was justified.

I always love seeing this stuff.
Geek squad gives techies the perfect excuse to charge a premium for mundane work. Just point out that its half the price of Geek squad and you just made $100 for defragging their hard drive.

"The price is fair though for the time it take for their geek squad agents to preform the flash."

Are you nuts? $30 for 30 seconds of work? Yeah the work that they do is worth $3600 an hour at that rate *rolls eyes*

Back