Best-selling console ever? PS5 sales could reach 170 million during its 5-year lifespan,...

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Sony is reportedly confident that the PlayStation 5 is going to be successful. So successful, in fact, that during its five-year lifespan, the machine is predicted to challenge the PS2 as the best-selling console ever. It's expected to ship 120 - 170 million units—double those of the Xbox Series X.

According to a report from Digitimes, which cites Sony’s backend supply chain in Taiwan, the life cycle of the next-gen consoles will be shortened to five years. For comparison, both the PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013.

The publication states that PS5 shipments may reach 120 – 170 million units during its five years, beating the PS4’s 110 million. That would put it close to, or even beat, the PS2, which sold over 155 million. The report adds that Microsoft is planning to ship around 60 million units of the Xbox Series X across its lifetime.

It’s worth noting that Digitimes isn’t always the most reliable source—it claimed that Ryzen 4000 desktop chips wouldn’t arrive this year, something AMD has since confirmed isn't true. However, we have heard that Sony is doubling production of the PS5 to 10 million units in 2020 due to increased demand caused by the pandemic—it took two quarters for the PS4 to sell just 7.5 million units.

As for the Xbox Series X shipping 60 million units; the current-gen Xbox One has shifted around 50 million consoles, and the trend of Sony doubling its rival’s figures does look likely to continue.

Demand for the PS5 is expected to be through the roof. The pandemic has seen more people prefer to stay home and game rather than go out and risk infection. As a result, spending on gaming is at its highest in a decade. We’ve also heard that PS5 pre-orders are imminent, and Sony is limiting purchases to one per household. With Microsoft failing to impress at its recent Xbox Games Showcase, the future is looking bright for Sony.

Permalink to story.

I kinda feel bad for Microsoft, they're actually doing a lot right and being really consumer friendly with the Series X - more powerful console, smart delivery, backwards compatibility, no exclusives in early years, I personally like the brick design...

I know they're a massive corporation that don't need my sympathy but I feel like they genuinely deserve more respect for their current works - not to mention that competition is very healthy for Sony, who have a habit of resting on their laurels....

I don't really understand the 5yr lifespan prediction,TBH.

..unless they suspect Microsoft will launch a mid life Series X upgrade like they did with the One X and Sony would prefer to launch a PS6 shortly thereafter rather than do a PS5 'Pro'.

I suspect the lifespan of the console will only be decided once the first 2yrs sales figures are in.If its as big a hit as they think it will be, I'd expect them to milk it for longer than 5yrs.

5 year lifespan? :p More like 8-10 years.

PS5 is going to sell well no doubt but Microsoft is not all about Xbox, Game Pass is on PC/Win10 too and I doubt they care much where you p(l)ay.

I have PC + PS4 Pro now. I will get a PS5 in 2021 or 2022, when Forbidden West comes out and hardware/software has been finetuned. Never buy a console on launch, you will be a beta tester while paying top price and have a very limited games catalog. Been there done that, happens every time.

PC will always be my main platform. Console gaming for me, is mostly about exclusives and story based games. Good singleplayer experiences. Could not care less about multiplayer on console, I do that on PC with 120+ fps using 144 Hz (or more).

I have hundred of hours on my PS4 Pro and it has been awesome. Playing on a bigscreen (65 inch OLED) is simply something different compared to PC gaming HDR looks great. Low fps is the main problem but I like the variety. So I will probably always have a console, but Xbox won't be my choice, since all the games comes to PC anyway. It's that simple.

I could not care less about the hardware in XSX is slightly better, because XBX was slightly better too, but lacked the games and PC was the best play to play all those games. PS4 Pro outsold it with ease, just like base/slim PS4 outsold Xbox One base/s with ease. Even tho Xbox is generally cheaper.

Xbox IMO is simply just a cheap "windows" gaming pc. Unless you don't own a PC, it's probably a good choice for some, who only owns a phone and a notebook. For me? Nah.. No need.

What I truly wants from "next gen" is that 60 fps because the standard. Stop this 30 fps madness please. Immersion goes down the drain.
60 fps should be the goal. Solid and locked 60 fps. Forget about 120 fps hype, because we all know it's only going to happen in a handful of (less demanding) games. Dirt 5 has an "up to 120 fps" mode confirmed, but resolution won't be 4K/UHD or anywhere close. Forget about VRR while you are at it, because 99.9% of buyers will use their "next gen" console with a fixed 60 Hz TV. It's going to be 30 and 60 fps once again, but as long as there's an option for 60 fps, I'm happy. Please add FOV sliders tho and Motion Blur on/off toggle (or better yet, stop using it).

Last edited:
As a massive sucker for new hardware, and a lifelong fan of PlayStation, to be honest it's going to be difficult to justify spending the money on the hardware, at least at launch. The PS5 launch will come after the launch of RTX 3000 and AMD's Big Navi, which will raise the bar for gaming graphics (by how much is the question, but the bar will go up regardless). AMD's Zen 3 will also release before or simultaneously, and combined with the new GPU's, we'll be pushing performance that we've never gotten before. If I pick up the PS5 at launch, it'll be because I'm going to pick up the big exclusives that come out, Horizon 2, God of War, etc. Unfortunately these will be coming out later on, and the stuff at launch is good, but it's going to be as good as games like CyberPunk that I'll be getting on PC...

Gaming seems really biased towards the ps5 right now which doesnt seem smart imo, sure the ps4 really hit it outta the park but were resetting the game now.

xbox has power on its side this time and most importantly with how cheapskatey gamers are the xbox gamepass will probably be the gamewinner for microsoft, I like to own my games so I'll still drop 60 or 70 I guess bones on games I really want but I do see the case for paying a small sub to play whatever hot new game is out.

<snip>

What I truly wants from "next gen" is that 60 fps because the standard. Stop this 30 fps madness please. Immersion goes down the drain.

If they are not delivering 60fps as standard, it's not "next gen". Absolutely pathetic to have anything run at 30fps in the gaming world.

Anyway well said. I will be the early-adopter sucker tho. I really want GT7 and Spidey to play.

Xbox IMO is simply just a cheap "windows" gaming pc. Unless you don't own a PC, it's probably a good choice for some, who only owns a phone and a notebook. For me? Nah.. No need.

Considering both xBox X and PS5 are based on mostly same hardware, couldn't you say the same thing for both consoles? So why didn't you? Bias?

I know they're a massive corporation that don't need my sympathy but I feel like they genuinely deserve more respect for their current works - not to mention that competition is very healthy for Sony, who have a habit of resting on their laurels....

I wouldn't say Sony "rests on their laurels" more than they make some really bad choices at times. Kind of like Toyota, they have a very heavy marketing budget and tend to talk consumers out of the knowledge of their stupid moves and poor consumer treatment. Building good products never is a priority when you have enough marketing dollars.

If you could hook the Xbox series X to a 1440p monitor and get higher fps, it might be more cost-effective than upgrading your PC. Hopefully, I can use M/K, and also cheating would be less of an issue if it's not crossplay.

Considering both xBox X and PS5 are based on mostly same hardware, couldn't you say the same thing for both consoles? So why didn't you? Bias?
Umm, because the PS5 can play games that PCs cannot? And maybe because the PS5 has a cutting edge SSD better than PC currently? Its just common sense at this point because we've been fed so much information about the two consoles. Xbox seems to be selling Game Pass which is available on PC and Xbox platforms, while PS5 seems to sell the console itself. From how they are marketing the Series X, it looks like theyre just trying to provide an optional hardware for you to use the Game Pass.

Best-selling console ever?

or maybe just best bullshit article ever
They are talking about the supplies that the companies are expecting
I wouldn't say Sony "rests on their laurels" more than they make some really bad choices at times. Kind of like Toyota, they have a very heavy marketing budget and tend to talk consumers out of the knowledge of their stupid moves and poor consumer treatment. Building good products never is a priority when you have enough marketing dollars.
Honestly MS seems to have more marketing budget than Sony. Its just that Sony does marketing better, if you'd look at partnership deals, Xbox has more. 22 Console Launch Exclusives/Timed Exclusives, that alone says it. It seems like youre just butthurt because one console is more beloved/successful over the other. Both products are good, why are you specifically calling Sony out for having a bad product? Just looking at the components, PS5 looks to be at least $50 cheaper, so from there, its just about the value. Yes, Xbox has the objectively better specs. Both Sony and MS currently have around ~$10 billion cash reserves, MS's flagship product is the Azure platform while Sony's is PlayStation platform. That said, Sony is more likely to take a loss in selling their console. Cash Reserves is different from Market Value, Market Value is the value of their Stocks.

Do I get this right? Xbox One lacked exclusives and sales suffered. And now they double down on that? I mean I get it, non-exclusive titles are totally pro-gamer, but you also need to SELL those consoles. And consoles are sold on exclusives. Prev gen I wanted to play TLOU so I got the PS3. This gen I wanted the TLOU remaster (and VR btw), so again, I got the PS4. Next gen, I sure as hell will get the PS5, for the probable TLOU2 remaster lol. Why yes, I really like TLOU lol.

Don't get me wrong, I *totally* respect Phil for being such a good guy and pro-gamer, but at the same time I really don't understand what the selling point will be for the new Xbox. I couldn't care less for better HW specs, really. I want mind blowing games, not specs.

Back