Biden administration proposes national EV charging station standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: A lack of charging stations is one of electric vehicle adoption's biggest obstacles. The Biden administration is fighting the problem in the US by proposing standards for a federally-funded charging station network.

The US Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration has proposed a set of minimum requirements for federally-funded EV charging stations. The outline is a new step in the Biden administration's plan to facilitate EV use by making stations more accessible and standardized throughout the country.

The proposed rules complement the government's February announcement that it would give states $5 billion over the next five years to build charging stations. The plan suggests at least one station every 50 miles along designated "alternate fuel corridors," along with other standards to ensure all EVs can use them.

Cross-compatibility between manufacturers is one of the main goals, with standardized payment systems, price information, installation certification, software platforms, traffic control interactions, and more. The rules would also ensure no charging stations require special memberships.

The EV industry will likely welcome this level of assistance from the government, but the private sector is also attempting various charging solutions. Israeli company Electreon plans to build the US's first highway that can charge electric vehicles as they drive. The all-electric Ford F-150 lightning can recharge Teslas with its mobile power cord and adapter. Startup Lightyear just announced a solar-powered EV, though it costs a lot for relatively little performance.

Permalink to story.

It's great that Biden's admin keeps busy sending proposals to be immediately shut down by Joe Manchin so they can go "Ups! We tried so...Go vote for us again?...Please?"
At this point, voting for the Democrats is less about voting for them and more about voting against the Naz....er, Republicans.

The Democrats have no ideas while the Republicans have bad ideas. No ideas mean that things will stay the same. Bad ideas mean that things will get worse.

I'll take no ideas over bad ideas seven days a week and twice on Sundays.
Compatibility might even be a bigger factor than the number of locations.
Agreed, 100%! What good is a crap-tonne of locations if you can't plug in? It's like driving a diesel vehicle around a bunch of gas stations that don't sell diesel, it's useless.

So let me get this straight....

It can take hours and hours to charge an electric vehicle (depending on your model, it could take up to 10 hours to fully charge), especially if the batteries are low. Average distance current electric cars can travel on a full charge is about 250 miles.

It's just over 275 miles for me to get from my place to my younger brother's place when I go to visit, but leaving my area I'll be meet with traffic congestion, construction slowdowns and lights. A trip that should take roughly 3.5 hours (based on distance) is usually 4-4.5 hours due to everything above. Even if none of those factors are involved, I'd still have to stop once or twice to charge to make sure my batteries have enough power to get me the full distance.

If my EV only does around 250 miles on a full charge, I can almost make it without stopping.
Sadly, you don't want to be stranded some place hoping you make it on the last bit of your charge so I would have to hit a charging station and that would leave me around 100-75 miles away from my brother's place.

Now I have to sit at the charging station for, most likely a couple of hours as I wait for my car to charge up enough to ensure I have a large enough charge to get me the rest of the distance....all while my kids are complaining that they're bored and the wife is pissed we're basically stranded for hours just so we can charge our electric vehicle.

This sounds like fun! Yes, thank you Biden for thinking of the people! You are the best!
(if you can't feel it dripping off these words in the last sentence, it's covered in sarcasm)

It can take hours and hours to charge an electric vehicle (depending on your model, it could take up to 10 hours to fully charge), especially if the batteries are low. Average distance current electric cars can travel on a full charge is about 250 miles.

It's just over 275 miles for me to get from my place to my younger brother's place when I go to visit, but leaving my area I'll be meet with traffic congestion, construction slowdowns and lights. A trip that should take roughly 3.5 hours (based on distance) is usually 4-4.5 hours due to everything above. Even if none of those factors are involved, I'd still have to stop once or twice to charge to make sure my batteries have enough power to get me the full distance.

If my EV only does around 250 miles on a full charge, I can almost make it without stopping.
Sadly, you don't want to be stranded some place hoping you make it on the last bit of your charge so I would have to hit a charging station and that would leave me around 100-75 miles away from my brother's place.

Now I have to sit at the charging station for, most likely a couple of hours as I wait for my car to charge up enough to ensure I have a large enough charge to get me the rest of the distance....all while my kids are complaining that they're bored and the wife is pissed we're basically stranded for hours just so we can charge our electric vehicle.

This sounds like fun! Yes, thank you Biden for thinking of the people! You are the best!
(if you can't feel it dripping off these words in the last sentence, it's covered in sarcasm)
There is no point for an oil producing country like the US for such a hard push for EVs. And if you want to cut down on consumption, plenty of ways to do that without going straight for EVs

But that is what wokeness is about, pushing for things that make 0 sense.

Enlighten us, please: against which currency exactly is the US dollar tanking??
It's tanking against the only 'currency' which matters -- purchasing power. That is, in fact, the exact definition of inflation: a decline in a currency's purchasing power. The US inflation rate rose from 1% to 8.6% in little over a year; an 860% increase which is the fastest ever recorded in US history.

Actually, the opposite is true, but you live in the bizarro Fox Noise world after all with their "alternative" facts..

Enlighten us, please: against which currency exactly is the US dollar tanking??
It is tanking against commodities like oil, wheat, gas. And a sh!t ton of consumer goods.
Also against the ruble.

Don't you think that it's at least better than doing nothing? It's something that's going to need to be done sooner or later. Better to do it now before the far worse alternative becomes entrenched. That's what the big corporations would love to see and that's why it's a bad idea not to do it.

Don't you think that it's at least better than doing nothing? It's something that's going to need to be done sooner or later. Better to do it now before the far worse alternative becomes entrenched. That's what the big corporations would love to see and that's why it's a bad idea not to do it.
Let technology catch up first instead of forcing it on the populace.

Seriously?? You're comparing currency to commodities??

And remind me again, how many rubles you have to spend to get One dollar??

Too bad you were napping in class.

The only thing that's tanking is the IQ of the Fox crowd!!
You shouldn't talk about IQ when you ignore basic economic principles

Loved the part about the how many rubles you need - so if tomorrow Russian Central Bank says 100 old rubles = 1 new ruble and the dollar is below the ruble you will panic?:joy:

Finally, you hold money so you can actually purchase things at a later date. So yes of course I am going to compare currency to commodities. With what should I compare it? Other fiat currency? I am not an FX trader.

It just dawned on them that this would be a requirement? Wow.

Also, I'd these are gonna be taxpayer funded, then they need to be run at cost. 0 profit.
At this point, voting for the Democrats is less about voting for them and more about voting against the Naz....er, Republicans.

The Democrats have no ideas while the Republicans have bad ideas. No ideas mean that things will stay the same. Bad ideas mean that things will get worse.

I'll take no ideas over bad ideas seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Agreed, 100%! What good is a crap-tonne of locations if you can't plug in? It's like driving a diesel vehicle around a bunch of gas stations that don't sell diesel, it's useless.
Funny I could say the same thing about democrats.

But then of course, after that previous administration, a ‘trainwreck’ makes for a remarkable improvement.
Under Trump this country had the lowest unemployment in 50 years, lowest unemployment for blacks & hispanics ever recorded. Highest small business confidence index level in twenty years, highest consumer confidence index level in twenty years. Brought back those jobs Obummer said weren't coming back such as manufacturing not to mention his administration reworked NAFTA in our favor so we didn't continue to get hosed by the likes of Canada and Mexico. He put millions into vo-tech schooling such as the skilled trades. Several peace treaties were signed under his administration including Serbia - Kosovo and Israel with multiple Arab countries. He walked the talk and moved the US embassy to Jerusalem when other US Presidents promised to do this but never followed through. Trump pressured our NATO allies to start paying their fare share while offering both the UK and the EU a tariff free trade deal seeing how the EU is screwing us bigly on tariffs. Trump fought to keep our borders safe from the illegal alien horde along with keeping mentally ill freaks out of school girl's bathrooms, locker rooms and girl's organized sports. Trump also got the US out of the Paris Climate scam while opening up federal lands for resource development including oil & gas. Under Trump the US was energy independant for the first time since the 1960's and he did all this while dealing with a fake Russia hoax investigation, fake impeachment and China bought & paid for MSM / big tech.

So much wrong in that post. Ahead of technology? 🤔

btw if you don't have eyes and ears, it's a video of Biden saying he's going to crush the oil & gas industry.
And that's why you linked the video. I get it. :rolleyes:

People like you would then complain on the absence of charging stations when the technology is there - and it may not be that far off with solid electrolyte batteries on the horizon.

But then again, the 'weez a needsin oil 'till the end of time' crowd always have something to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back