Big probs with half life 2 & NV FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story - I've got HL2 installed on my pc, however Steam said that my graphics card needed an updated driver. I downloaded & installed that driver, & restarted my pc when prompted, but when i went to check the driver version in device manager, it was still the old one!

Also, the game will load & start, but as it reaches the end of the intro, it gets slower & slower, sound loops & eventually crashes back to the desktop (no error message)

here's my specs

pentium 4 processor
Windows XP o/s
80gb hard drive
256mb ram (not much, i know, but min. req. for the game)
NVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card

Any help would be wonderful, I'm ready to chuck my pc out the window!

Did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones? You should. I dont think you can play HL2 with that card unless the video settings are really low. Even though its a DX9 card it just doesnt have the power for newer games . I had trouble with one playing Elite Force 2 two years ago. If you can afford a new video card get one. Even an older one like the Radeon 9500 is better or a FX 5700. You can find them cheap on Ebay.

i second that get a better graphics card get a 9800 pro or one of the newer x700s to be on the safe side becuase games are only gettin more graphic card intensive and these cards are pretty cheap now.

Well, can't really afford any new cards right now (student, broke!) but will get onto it in the future.

The game was a gift, so I'll just put it away til I can afford some upgrades!

Thanks

b

i would also add more memory. windows xp alone eats up almost 256 megs. get at least 512, 1 gig would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back