Bios corrupted by bad bios install

Status
Not open for further replies.

landale

I have a Gateway 820GM pc and was having issues with IRQ conflicts. I was told that this is something that was fixed in the latest bios so I downloaded and ran them windows program that would automate the install of these bios.

Long story short the computer rebooted to install the bios and then hung on a black screen. After 30 minutes it was clear that something was wrong. I have verified that these are the correct bios for my motherboard and everything.

I was able to get the computer to boot to windows by holding down the insert key when the system is turning on however when I try to access the bios screen its all corrupt in there with a blue screen and unreadable text.

While i Know the easy answer is to trash the motherboard before I go spend $100 on a replacement I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as the computer does now boot to windows but I am concerned that there are still some problems that should be addressed with the Bios. Thanks.

Try resetting the CMOS (there's a jumper for that on the motherboard).

Boot using a DOS floppy or CD and re-flash the BIOS from there.

Nodsu said:
Try resetting the CMOS (there's a jumper for that on the motherboard).

Boot using a DOS floppy or CD and re-flash the BIOS from there.

I already tried resetting the CMOS using the jumper and that didn't seem to change anything. My computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive so it will have to be a bootable cd. Luckily it seems gateway does give you a dos version of the bios to flash with.

Is it all encouraging that I can at least get it to boot to windows right now or is there still a problem thats being masked here?

the motherboard is not destroyed, but the EPROM where the BIOS is located is scrambled. Removing the CMOS battery will not fix the problem (Except for some motherboards which have a backup BIOS). Your motherboard must be sent to the manufactuer for a hardware reprogram of the BIOS. Tell them you need the latest version installed.

I would try to reprogram it first though.

My motherboard must have those backup bios because I removed the battery for an hour and all is working perfectly now. Can even get into the bios screen. Definetly on the older bios but I'd rather have a working computer with old bios then a broken one with new bios sorta on there.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back