BIOS Upgrade question

milespower

Hey there.

So, I have this board, Asrock 775Twins-HDTV. I found out that with my processor I cannot use this board unless I upgrade the BIOS. Thing is, the most recent version is P2.10. I have P1.40.

The question is, there is a newer version of the board called the R2.0, supporting Core 2 Duo using the same chipset. Should I upgrade to P2.10 or will that brick my board? And will I gain Core 2 Duo support with that? Remember, my board is the "R1.0" not the 2.0...

I have this question really because I'm a bit of a suck for "latest versions" and in the description there are things like "Modify USB code". Can I trust ASRock's website in giving different bios files to the 1.0 and the 2.0?

Regards.

The website of my board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Twins-HDTV

and the newer one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Twins-HDTV R2.0

BIOS updates are always considered risky and recommended only when necessary. With that said I have never had issues while updating, but that doesn't mean I never will. What I'm trying to say is no one can guarantee 100% success.

After studying the links you provided, I'm thinking you have a Core2 processor that your motherboard will not support.

BIOS updates are software updates. Board revisions are hardware updates.
The P2.10 BIOS update seems to require the V2.0 board revision in order to support the CPU in question.

In other words it looks as if the BIOS update supports your CPU but also requires the V2.0 board revision. Without the needed hardware, the software update is useless (unless you need the update for another reason).

Ahh, in that case, you should be fine.

To be absolutely sure you get the right update, only download the updates available for your board revision. In other words don't take any unnecessary chances that may brick your board.

And since you are updating anyway, you might as well get the most recent version.

I concur with cliffordcooley. Your board's listing clearly lists the supported CPUs and the R2 board adds the Core 2 Duo listings. It may seem like a slight difference but this probably due to an internal tweak to the board to allow for the C2D. Never mix and match BIOSes. I have done this in the past and paid the price.

Back