Black screen on startup after Windows logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have installed windows xp pro sp2 slipstreamed at least 30+ times and have done countless reformats on my drive. At one point I had everything working fine I got a virus and had to reinstall. The only thing that is new on my system is a video card I upgraded my ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 with a new ATI Radeon X850-XT PE AGP Card. Now I fixed I think the problem that I was having before when I would start up windows and after I installed the ATI drivers I got a black screen after the windows logo. I downloaded the latest catalyst software and fixed that problem. Plus I changed my BIOS AGP instead of PCI. (Thats weird that my 9600XT worked fine in PCI mode.) Now my new problem is that as soon as I install a usb device like my brother MFC 420CN Printer. I get that 1min black screen after the windows logo and then it boots into windows and everything is fine. I have been trying to find out what the problem is for about a week now and it driving me nuts. Any ideas! Thanks:)

GA-7NNXP w/F20 BIOS
AMD 3200+ Athlon XP
560W Thermaltake PSU
1.5 Corsair TwinX XMS Pro
ATI Radeon X850-XP PE AGP
2 Maxtor SATA 250GB EA
2 Maxtor SATA 300GB EA

Try resetting BIOS back to its defaults. BIOS will detect your video card and disable the onboard (if any).

Try taking your AGP slot graphics card out completely and using the onboard aslo (if the above does not work). At least then you would have pin-pointed the problem to the graphics card.

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

Ok I think that I have found the problem. It's the ACPI I always have set this in the past so I could have the Standby option enabled during shutdown I changed it to standard pc without reinstalling my OS again just to see what happened. Now I have a new problem. The Standby option is grayed out and I have a yellow exclamation point by my Primary IDE Chanel in device manager. Thanks mikescorpio81 I don't think that it is the Video Card I have installed 2 of them one was a X850-XT and the one that I have in there now is a X850-XT PE. I doubt that they both would go bad. I tried to reinstall the chipset drivers to see if that would fix it but it did not. Any other ideas! Thanks:)

The standby option is usually greyed out due to a bug in XP (fixed by SP2). Run through and install all current updates and make sure to service pack 2 your OS.
As for your exclamation mark in device manager, check the properties of the device and make sure there is no IRQ conflicts. Try updating the driver also.

If you have configured ACPI through BIOS i'd reccomend resetting it back to default. ACPI is to do with power and unless you know exactly what you are doing, you may cause an IRQ conflict.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back