Blank Monitor after trying to add new storage device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not very technical with the hardware but I thought I'd try adding a 2nd storage device to store my photos, etc. After adding the device with the correct setup based on the instructions, I restarted the computer. But during startup, there were few beeping noises and the monitor would not show anything. I figured I must have done something wrong so read the manual over and over tried different things. I finally gave up and decided to remove the 2nd storage device to keep the computer the way it was. But now, the monitor is still blank.

When I start the computer, everything seems to be humming. Boot drive, fan, chip, etc. I thought maybe it's the video card but it works in another computer and I tried putting another video card in, still nothing. Some message threads in the forum mentions reset BIOs CMO, etc. If this is the right approach, how do I do that?

I have an AMD Athlon Chaintech motherboard 7SID SiS735 based computer custom built by a friend.

Can anyone help as to how I should troubleshoot this? :darth:

You may have dislodged a card or connector, or your RAM. Go through your machine and try reseating your I/O cards, your RAM, and make sure all the plugs are firmly seated. Also, you may want to check if you have a drive cable plugged in backwards. Some older cables don't always have a key to prevent you from inserting them the wrong way.

I tried all of this and still nothing - there's no beep or anything. I changed the CMOs battery to be sure, and still nothing. The system isn't booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back