BMW, GM, Honda and other automakers join hands for new EV charging network to rival Tesla

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Seven major global automakers have announced a new EV charging network across the U.S. and Canada as part of an initiative that the consortium claims would nearly double the number of fast-charging stations in the region. Tesla currently has the largest EV charging network in North America, but once the new network takes shape, it is expected to rival the Elon Musk-led company's massive Supercharger network.

The automakers in the new joint venture include BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Stellantis. In a joint press release this week, the companies said that the JV plans to have at least 30,000 high-powered charging stations across the U.S., mostly in urban areas and along major highways. The network is expected to be operational in the U.S. by next summer and in Canada at a later date.

According to the companies, the network will offer EV owners "an elevated customer experience" by providing reliable high-powered charging options. The automakers expect the joint venture to be the leading provider of reliable high-powered EV chargers in North America. In what could be a massive win for the environment, the press release also said that the network is expected to be powered entirely by renewable energy.

The new charging network is expected to be built through a public-private partnership by leveraging the massive EV-related investments by the federal and state governments. To be eligible for public funding, the charging facilities will have to conform to the U.S. National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program, but the consortium claims that its project will aim to not only meet those requirements, but even exceed them. As part of the plan, the new charging stations will be accessible to all battery-powered electric vehicles from any automaker using Combined Charging System (CCS) or North American Charging Standard (NACS).

The press release also claims that the upcoming network will improve the charging experience for all drivers, thereby increasing EV adoption among consumers. One of the ways the JV plans to elevate the charging experience is by putting the stations in convenient locations to make it easier for drivers to charge their cars. The charging locations will also offer canopies and amenities like restrooms, eateries, and retail outlets to help people grab a quick bite or do a little shopping while their car battery is juiced up. Some of the flagship stations will also offer "additional amenities," but the press release did not specify what they might be.

Permalink to story.

Obligatory.

standards_2x.png

I thought the Japanese were going to go hydrogen and F off the pointless electric vehicles.

Something that should be government owned / run, sorted out by some private firm to make another bunch of douche bags like the oil tykes.

Tesla opened up their charging network to other EVs
Actually, if I remember correctly, Tesla offered their network from the beginning and were rejected by the "adults" in the industry.

Or maybe it was their power connectors?

I do know they offered either one back then and were rejected.
The question of why did Tesla want everyone to adopt their connectors instead of adopting the connectors of other companies in an effort to standardize with other companies could be asked. However, we could go around and around on this and it would be, IMO, pointless.

The article implies that there may be reliability problems with the Tesla network. If there are problems, IMO, its no wonder that companies want to improve on it.

We'll see where it goes, but there's no way I, personally, am going to buy a Tesla. As I see it, that would be like selling my soul to the devil and Musk's daily whims.

The question of why did Tesla want everyone to adopt their connectors instead of adopting the connectors of other companies in an effort to standardize with other companies could be asked.
I think to recall that they had the first reliable connector and was superior to the others and they offered it but were rejected because the other manufacturers didnt want to give them such advantage.

The article implies that there may be reliability problems with the Tesla network.
On many other articles and youtube videos, I have observed the contrary. Tesla being reliable, the others are not.

We'll see where it goes, but there's no way I, personally, am going to buy a Tesla.
I dont have one, neither the money for one.

As I see it, that would be like selling my soul to the devil and Musk's daily whims.
After the twitter fiasco, I agree.

But I also like to give due to who deserves it and like it or not, he fought and beat big oil in bringing back electric cars.

For that reason alone, I wouldnt mind buying one Tesla in my lifetime.

I dont have one, neither the money for one.
One of my staff has a Tesla and when its warranty is up he is never buying another. And he has had a Model S since they were first introduced.

Another one got her money back last year under the lemon law and bought a Mach-E GT.
She had a Model X and 2 Model S in the past.

A sample of two I know man, but the stories concerning Tesla lack of quality is getting worse, and much more frequent.

One of my staff has a Tesla and when its warranty is up he is never buying another. And he has had a Model S since they were first introduced.

Another one got her money back last year under the lemon law and bought a Mach-E GT.
She had a Model X and 2 Model S in the past.

A sample of two I know man, but the stories concerning Tesla lack of quality is getting worse, and much more frequent.
That is horrible.

This is ridiculous. For once, I actually want the gov't to step in and mandate a universal charging standard for ALL EVs.

We don't need triple the number of necessary charging stations in our cities because of some pissing match between giant egos.

This is ridiculous. For once, I actually want the gov't to step in and mandate a universal charging standard for ALL EVs.

We don't need triple the number of necessary charging stations in our cities because of some pissing match between giant egos.

This^
It should be federally mandated, because it deals with inter-state commerce, just like gas stations...!

Across all those brands there are at best 3 EV products that break even without factoring in the ICE part of the associated OEMS portfolio. Also they haven't gotten past the point of regulatory approval yet so they're at minimum 10 years behind the competition. Realistically 3 of the associated companies are going into receivership before 2030, barring some type of direct government action to alter their financials.

My guess would be GM, BMW and Honda considering their current financials, lack of relevant product and the cost/development time required to bring one to market.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-conte...Book-EV-Sales-and-Data-Report-for-Q1-2023.pdf

I just noticed GMC in that report, um 2 Q1 2023. To put that in perspective they've spent 10's to 100's of millions on the Hummer EV's development and they're at 2 units sold in a 3 month window within the golden 1 year window after a new vehicle launch. That isn't even factoring in the marketing costs.

MCould make every unique station to also have standardized plug. Then you can use that fancy bmw or a standard connector at the same chargin station

There unfortunaly is not unlimited power manufacturing process in all of the world to power these points, so they will be turning fossil fuels, because they already refuse to make more Nuclear power stations.... oh well, they will just keep spinning the BS until every one owns nothing and is happy

Just to point out, per the link above, other than Tesla and Nissan Leaf, all other electric vehicles now apparently do use a "Combined Charging Standard" connector.

That said... these car companies, or somebody (existing gas stations don't seem to be showing an interest, even if they have a big parking lot with plenty of space...) definitely needs to put in far more charging stations if they think they're going to all switch to selling 100% electric vehicles (as Audi and a few have already done). And the power grid will need a serious upgrade too (I definitely won't be happy if my computer and especially air conditioning start crapping out from rolling blackouts, or unplanned outages due to overloads, because too many people are charging their vehicles!)

I'd LOVE to get a "plug-in hybrid", I would have gotten a Volt if I could have found a used one at a good price. But, I do go on enough long trips now and then that I REALLY don't want to have to plan out where I can go to charge, and then spend 30 minutes or an hour charging when I can gas up in like 5 minutes flat if that. And, of course, it'll get worse before it gets better if they start selling more electric cars faster than they get the charging infrastructure expanded.

On the bright side, this might be a true renaissance for travel plazas (I suppose many more people will go in and have a meal or buy some snacks if they have a while to wait, compared to the gassing up and going). And for some of those roadside hotels/motels... if people are stopping every couple hundred miles to charge, they may stop at some of these hotels/motels that they gas up and blow right past now. I mean, once enough charging exists, it would just be a somewhat different pace of road trip when one must really stop (for more than 2 or 3 minutes) and really see some of the country.

Back