Boot Disk Failure after RAM install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am new to these boards and was hoping I could get some help from all of you who are much more knowledgeable than I.

I've never really had any problems with my computer acting up. I decided to add 2GB more RAM to my system this morning. Once I finally got them in there after much prodding and force I turned on my machine only to get this dreaded error message. I made sure the cords were still connected to the hard drive. I then took the RAM that I had just added back out but the error message still persists unfortunately.

I'm wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to other techniques I can try to get my system working again. I am currently running Vista.

Thanks so much!

-Clipper

How many memory slots does the motherboard have? Did you remove the old memory completely before installing the new memory? Is the new memory compatible with the motherboard?

"Once I finally got them in there after much prodding and force"...

You might have damaged the motherboard. You should only need firm but gentle pressure, and pay attention to the key position on the memory module and the motherboard memory slot

Yes, that "much prodding and force" thing doesn't sound right. What motherboard do you have and what RAM do you have, old and new?

My motherboard has 4 slots. I added the same RAM as is whats already in there. I did just notice that I had managed to unplug two of the SATA Hard drives I have. I plugged them back in but the problem still remains unfortunately.

I have tried to take the new RAM out to see if it will work with just the old two sticks, but that still gives me the error message.

Hey Guys,

I finally got it working! I had to go into the Hard Drive section of BIOS and move my C: back up to the highest priority. I'm thinking when the power got cut to that drive they got all out of order.

Thanks so much for the help!

I was just going to say that you need to check the hard drive order in the bios. Glad you got it figured out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back