boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillz noodles

ok. i find this a little odd.

at first my comp would freeze right when i started it up ( at the screen where it says "hit f2 to enter bios")

i unplugged the ide cables from my mobo and that allowed me to enter me bios. so i thought the problem was solved.(i was wrong of course)

when i try to boot into windows, it goes to the loading screen, with the wavey windos flag thing, and the loading bar under it, then it switches to a blue screen telling me that windows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer

i thought it was a problem with windows, so i switched it out for another hard drive that i had and i got the same error.

i tried a few differant hard drives with windows on them, and i allways get the same error.

BUT, i can boot into linux(witch i am currently on)
and linux is on a seperate hard drive

im useing unbuntu feisty

i thought it may be my ide controllers.

but what i dont get why it will boot into linux. but not windows( on any hard drive)

if you have any questions just post here

yes, my jumpers are set properly.

amd 3400+
1.2g ram
ati x700 video card

and my comp worked previously, this just happened 2 days ago

and im useing the phoenix bios, if that helps

You have provided a plethora of un-useful facts.

What drive has the Windows OS and is it the same as the Linux?

Why would Linux boot when Windows apparently won't, yet you don't get the choice of boot systems until Bios has been queried by the CPU and passed?

CCT said:
You have provided a plethora of un-useful facts.

What drive has the Windows OS and is it the same as the Linux?

Why would Linux boot when Windows apparently won't, yet you don't get the choice of boot systems until Bios has been queried by the CPU and passed?

1. windows and linux are on seperate drives

2. im asking you why windows wont boot. and its not a duel boot, so i dont have to choose witch OS im loading.

i just think that me ide controller might be bad.

maybe it wont read the boot.ini

and i think that it will load linux because the boot process is differant than windows.

no no. ok

at FIRST when it wouldnt load i unpluged the ide cables it made it stop freezeing.

then i could plug them back in and it wouldnt freeze.

and the ide cables are plugged in right now

Well, I gotta go - here's the dilemna - 'at first' you say to start - does this mean you just installed everything or at first when the problem showed up?

Yiou have 2 drives on 1 IDE and is it an 80 wire 40 pin and are they jumpered cable select or are they Master Slave and where is eaxh connecvted, ie, end or middle and which one?

Ya see, we, like your computer, need GOOD DATA!

gl anyway

:)

no, i didnt just install everthing. i built this computer a few months ago.
in saying "at first" i meant when the problem started

the jumpers are set correctly, i dont have 2 drives on 1 ide, i have a hard drive on one, and my dvd drive on the other.

Well, for one, dont start calling people *****s because they dont put you at "High Priority". I do apologize that I have not gotten back to you, but I do own my own computer repair business. Anyways, what on your system has changed before this problem arose? BTW If you put a HD that has windows on it in your computer IT WILL NOT WORK! Any hard drive that has windows installed on it will not work in any other computer! When windows installs, it configures itself to be for SPECIFIC Hardware. So what changed on your system? IF you can, try to remember the last thing you did on your system berfor this problem.

gavinseabrook said:
Well, for one, dont start calling people *****s because they dont put you at "High Priority". I do apologize that I have not gotten back to you, but I do own my own computer repair business. Anyways, what on your system has changed before this problem arose? BTW If you put a HD that has windows on it in your computer IT WILL NOT WORK! Any hard drive that has windows installed on it will not work in any other computer! When windows installs, it configures itself to be for SPECIFIC Hardware. So what changed on your system? IF you can, try to remember the last thing you did on your system berfor this problem.

i didnt change anything.

and i just think my ide controllers went out

and for the windows not working on other comps your not entirely right.

OEM ties itself to the motherboard, and even then your not totally right

if you try to put a HD with windows on it in another comp IT WILL COMPLETELY START UP. it just tells you the hardware has changed, and that u cant use it until you validate it again. then you just call Microsoft and give them the numbers on your screen. =p

and in my case, it doesn't even get that far.

i just wanted to see if windows was corrupted, and it wasnt.

im almost positive my ide controllers are bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back