Booting problem on a previously working machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello geeks

I had a machine which I had assmbled some six months back which was working fine till now. When I started the machine today it does not display anything...not even the bios messages... The specs are

ECS 848P - A7 motherboard
2.66GHZ Intel P4
1 GB ram
64 MB Video card
2 hard drives

Now when I try to boot up the machine I see that there is just red LED coming up on the case and the green LED does not come up (I think previously it used to come up with a beep sound). I don't hear any beep sounds also. I don't see anything displaying on the motherboard. The power supply seems to be OK and I see a red LED glowing on the motherboard. I need your help in troubleshooting the problem.

first thing that you should do is check to make sure everything is connected correctly and didn't come loose. Also, you need to make sure that all the cards are secured in their slots. If that didn't help, try to clear the cmos to see if that helps. If not, try to take the cpu out and clean the thermal grease and reapply a new one. (I don't know why but sometimes reinsert the cpu will help).

When you said that you didn't see anything booting, my suspicion is that the cpu is dead but it could also be the mobo. Try to connect just the minimal and see if that boots. You coudl also try to replace the psu.

power supply first?

Think I'd try the power supply first. If you don't have a way to check it, maybe a friend has one you try in its place? Those LEDs don't take much voltage, but if yo're not getting full voltage, things won't spin up. If the case hasn't been banged around, I wouldn't think to woory just yet about the CPU. If you know how to reset the CMOS, do that, too, but if the PSU is crapping out, that may not help :)

If it's not POSTing or even loading BIOS and no beeps then it is the PSU. To check this, power down and remove the 20pin connector from the mobo. Jumper (use a 1" wire) the green wire to the black wire beside it. (there is only 1 green wire and several black, but ALL black are ground). Now turn on the power switch at the back of the PSU the fan should start turning. If no fan then you definately have no 12Volt rail, so you will have no HDD spinning. If you have multimeter or a friend with one check the voltages. Red=5V, yellow =12V, Org=3.3V

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back