Both Microsoft Surface 4 models will reportedly offer AMD and Intel CPUs

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Fans of Microsoft's Surface Laptop 3 who prefer AMD to Intel will be pleased to hear that team red's CPUs are no longer limited to the 15-inch model in the successor. According to reported Surface Laptop 4 specs, the 13.5-inch version will also offer processors from both Intel and AMD when it launches in April.

WinFuture (via Windows Central) published alleged details of the Surface Laptop 4. The specs show that both sizes can be configured with Intel's 11th-gen Tiger Lake chips (Core i5-1145G7, Core i7-1185G7) or AMD's 4000 Mobile Series CPUs ("Surface Edition" Ryzen 5 4680U, Ryzen 7 4980U).

The current 15-inch Surface Laptop 3 can be specced with the Ryzen 5 3580U and Ryzen 7 3780U, so Microsoft is upgrading AMD's processors in the new models, though it's strange to see the Zen 3-powered Ryzen Mobile 5000 chips not being used.

Elsewhere, the 3:2 aspect ratio remains from the Surface Laptop 3, as do the 2256 x 1504 (13.5 inch) and 2496 x 1664 (15 inch) resolutions. Memory reaches 32GB and storage maxes out at 1 TB, though only if you opt for an Intel CPU; AMD models get a maximum of 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage. GPUs are simply listed as "Iris Plus Graphics 950" and "Radeon Graphics."

The Surface Laptop 4 does look like it'll be a smartphone-style iterative upgrade, with few changes beyond the internals. These reported specs might not be entirely accurate, of course, but we should find out for sure in a few weeks.

Masthead image credit: Pawarun Chitchirachan

Permalink to story.

The history tells us that Microsoft would only choose to diversify at the sight of losing the market. In the same spirit, they decided to add AMD only after Apple started making serious steps toward ARM. They always lacked vision, which they inherited from the founder.

The history tells us that Microsoft would only choose to diversify at the sight of losing the market. In the same spirit, they decided to add AMD only after Apple started making serious steps toward ARM. They always lacked vision, which they inherited from the founder.

To be fair, I think Satya Nadella has a little bit more vision now. However his vision fully realized will probably make Microsoft get out of the retail market completely and even concede much of the personal computer market to competitors altogether. But well even if monetarily Microsoft can already survive out of Azure alone, it will take a while before they can fade out all of the consumer stuff to the likes of Samsung, Google and specially Apple.

They came up with Windows Hello, which Apple later copied. The 2nd Gen Surface has one of the best keyboards in laptops and had all the ports I could need. Problem is I could only use it for work and it wasn't powerful enough for gaming after the work day had ended.

I really like the Surface Laptops, but they need to be a little more cutting edge.

They need to get rid of the surface connector and focus more on Thunderbolt and USB-C. I've been switching everyone to newer dell laptops at work with a USB-C Dock. They've been great. Dell has fully embraced USB-C. Even my high powered workstation uses a dual Thunderbot connection to do power and data/video. That One connection is all I need to connect my laptop to my desk station.

I really like the Surface Laptops, but they need to be a little more cutting edge.

They need to get rid of the surface connector and focus more on Thunderbolt and USB-C. I've been switching everyone to newer dell laptops at work with a USB-C Dock. They've been great. Dell has fully embraced USB-C. Even my high powered workstation uses a dual Thunderbot connection to do power and data/video. That One connection is all I need to connect my laptop to my desk station.

Nothing like an upgradable laptop or tablet....! Dell let you do that....Surface does not....!

No 5000 series APU's no care. I'll wait for Alder Lake P or 6000 series APU's thank you very much. And now other manufacturers are moving away from crap 16:9 screens, the absurdly overpriced Surface has lot one of it's only advantages.

They need to make a version where the display doesn't disconnect from the base for those who never used that feature, but had to pay for it. If they made a 16:9 version that had a 3060 or 3070 without the detachable display I would buy one again.

They need to make a version where the display doesn't disconnect from the base for those who never used that feature, but had to pay for it. If they made a 16:9 version that had a 3060 or 3070 without the detachable display I would buy one again.

They do.

Only the Surfacebook has the screen detach.

What I love about the Surface Devices are the 3:2 Screens. I find 16:9 pointless on a laptop. It is only good if you plan on watching video content on it. For Web usage and light gaming 3:2 is better. Most RTS and lighter games work great on 3:2, and I don't see anyone using a ultrabook style computer for anything more than a light game.

If you need a gaming Laptop, get a gaming laptop. When I used to travel alot for work having a gaming laptop was a godsend. Even though it was a pretty slim device, it was heavy and had poor battery life. Not the best Web browsing laptop.

ATM I'd still get a macbook air over a surface. MS really just needs to move to cutting edge tech and update their devices. Otherwise I'd easily get a surface laptop or surface laptop go over a macbook air.

Back