Boxee Box release date delayed until November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Despite previous intentions, the set-top device being developed by Boxee and D-Link has been postponed until the fourth quarter of this year. The Boxee Box was originally slated to ship by the end of the second quarter – or around now – but it seems that timeframe was "overly ambitious." The companies now plan to launch the media-streamer sometime during November, but an exact date hasn't been disclosed.

There isn't an official reason for the delay, but it sounds like Boxee just needs a little more time to tweak the software. The company said its goal is for the Boxee Box to play 1080p videos from the Web or local network using hardware accelerating whenever possible, and to provide a TV browser experience that can handle things like Flash 10.1 – all without the device feeling obsolete a year after folks buy it.

The Boxee Box is expected to ship for less than $200 and features include an Nvidia Tegra T250 SoC, HDMI, S/PDIF, and RCA connectors, two USB ports, an SD card slot, gigabit Ethernet, and 802.11n Wi-Fi. Naturally, Boxee's media software will be preinstalled and the machine will support a range of formats, such as H.264, MKV, DivX, and VC-1. It'll also ship with a pretty slick looking keyboard remote.

Permalink to story.

I love the software but the name omg! Where i come from (Barbados) Boxee although it would be spelled "boxy" means a** so evertime i mention the software people burst off laughing, whether they know what i mean or not.

It is ridiculous to call these things "set-top" boxes. Who the hell still has a TV you can put stuff on top of. I know mine is only a couple of inches thick.

"Who the hell still has a TV you can put stuff on top of"

That right there has to be the most ignorant sentence I've read this year.

Interesting possibilities, but considering all of the weird flaky issues Boxee has had with Netflix (off and on) and Hulu, I'm a little dubious about it.

And that remote really needs to be a slider (like the new TiVo one)m cause I can't imagine how many accidental keypresses will happen with a setup like that. Great in theory, looks nice, but not really designed for practicality.

Thankyou because u(BB boxe Box) tested our lots of our patience. You may keep that box to yourself and we dont want it anymore. You are delayed near a year and by the time you come into the market you will b outdated by brands like Asus, Xtreamer and other cos who are much faster in adopting new technologies and keeping us happy. Infact who will go in for your box when under $200 we get all the features that you offer and much more than that incl the blur-ay drive/ player like Sony, toshiba and others.

I request not to intro this player in the market and spoil ur own name

This device is a non-starter for me without component ouputs. I'm not disposing of a $2,000+ TV so I can use a $200 media streamer.

No component connection, no deal?
Earth to guy with neolithic period tv.....

thats not a $2000 tv...( it doesnt have HDMI?)
Dude, sorry, that's a $150 tv...if if if if you're reeeeeally luck one day on craigslist with some big guy with a really biiiig truck with a really big friend who'll come and haul that 150 lb, 10yr old+ jumbo-tron outa your joint.

go ahead, now tell me it 4:3 aspect ratio...
lol
ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back