Brand new Seagate Barracuda 7200 250gig loud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exero

Hey i just ordered a new computer, and all the parts are working great except my harddrive is extremely loud. I have a Seagate Barraacuda 7200 250gig, and reading the reviews on newegg.com most of them say its almost silent. It sounds like an incredibly loud scratching sound when its read/writing, a lot like the older harddrives sound. Its noise level is way above my 5 fans on their highest RPM (hopefully that helps give you an idea). This is my first seagate/SATA, so im not sure if it has to do with being one of those 2, or if it has to do with being brand new. Does anyone else have this harddrive that can comment on its noise level? The harddrive seems to be running great.

Thank you :D

EDIT: Im also hearing this faint ticking sound once every 5 min or so, it kinda sounds like the mob's speaker but quieter, and its coming from the harddrive.

bad drive send back or RMA it don't wait for oem warrenty to be up
I have this drive you can't hear it even on heavy load

ok well newegg has a 1 year replacement on OEM products, the drive seems to perform fine, but im not familiar with harddrive failure sounds, and this does sound like one. Thanks for your respond, i want to make sure i have a defective one before i sent it away.

anything clicking, scratching or erratic movement with the read/write arm means trouble for the hdd, may have been damaged from the factory or transit doesnt matter.. a quick replacements will save you lots of headaches and mean that you havent start compiling files on it (much)..

i have 2 seagate hdds (see my sig) both OEMs but dont realy know if they're barras or not but they barely make a sound, just a whisper when it starts to spin.. and thats on both drives at the same time.. the only time i heard clicking was a long time ago, which my pc tended to overheat alot, but i couldnt distinguish if it was another (older) hdd drive i had in the pc before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back