Broken Windows XP

Hi!

So I recently reinstalled windows xp on my old Dell Dimension E351 which had somehow lost it. Installation wasn't easy, bugged most of the time, and finally did it. "Yay!" But I have many problems using it. When it boots, it starts with "Phoenix - award workstationBIOS v6.00PG" and stuff, saying "diskette drive 0 seek failure" and asking me to press F1 to continue. Without the windows XP reinstallation cd, it tries to boot from the cd, displaying "NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE" but when the cd is in it, it asks me to hit a key if I want it to boot from the cd. If I do, it boots with the cd and asks me if I want to reinstall. When I dont hit a key, it boots windows XP just fine, seemingly without using the disk because I didn't hit any key.

The part which refers to "Broken" from the topic is because it seems to be somehow broken, or maybe incomplete. Windows boots and all, but it doesn't seem to be able to do much. I tried Dell's pilot for the ethernet controller, but it seems to be having a problem, and when I open Internet Explorer, it loads the msn page, I can do researches in Bing, but when I click on any link, like google or any other site, it displays as if I had no internet connection. Getting no where with the ethernet controller, I tried to install a dynex wireless g card. Everything went fine during the installation, but then, I cant open it's application "Dynex wireless client utility". When I go in the control panel, in the internet settings, there is no dynex, wifi or wireless option, only the local cable pretending to work perfectly.

It may seem of-topic, but I think that everything went wrong because of the weird installation of windows, and now it seems like it can't use and pilot, or at least, not like it should.

Anybody can help me ?

(sorry for any weird sentences and stuff, English is not my first language)

Google how to fix the MBR. Don't confuse with FixMbr, that's for the UEFI boot loader and with XP, it wasn't used very much

Even if you have the installation disks plus drivers reinstalling XP is a big job. It's not really worth all the bother for an OS that came out around 2002 and went to SP3 and beyond. The updates and service packs take forever to install. It is easiest to install XP as a virtual OS using a program like VMWare Player in a later Windows operating system. Unless you need XP to run programs that won't run in Compatibility mode I'd give up on this.

Back