Browsers won't load

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't figure out a better one, so here goes...

Lately both my desktop and laptop have had problems loading pages in any browser. The problem is somewhat intermittent, and clearing the cache usually helps, but not always. I end up having to clear the caches in all browsers regularly just to get any work done, and sometimes even that doesn't work.

My laptop is running Vista, and my new desktop, Windows 7 (64 bit). I've checked for malware, viruses, and firewall issues on both computers, occasionally finding something and fixing it, but still no resolution to the browsers stalling or refusing to load pages. I get error messages that some pages are not found and others just won't load.

My ISP delivers inconsistent connection speeds, but lately that's gotten a bit steadier, usually hovering around 1 Mbps, with occasional swings up and down. When I've had the loading problem, I've checked the speed, and it seems OK.

Is it possible that this is a router issue? Or is there some other explanation why this seems to be a problem across OS versions and hardware configurations?

Before you do all this could you go to command prompt and type.

ping www.google.co.uk
and see if you get a reply back.

1. What does it say at the bottom of the page when it won't load.

2.Is the lights on your router all green in other words are the lights
on.

3 are you on wireless or dial up if on wireless broadband look on the right handside of the system tray bottom right of the desktop and tell me what
It says about your connection.

Back