BSOD after bios update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atwooooood

so my computer decided to use the system update that came on my computer (Lenovo 3000 N100 with Vista Home Premium), and it installed everything it needed to. Then something called WinPhlash popped up saying it had a bios update, and me not knowing much about the bios, i decided to hit the flash bios button (like a *******), and now after my system boots up fully, i get the BSOD with the Stop: 0x0000000A error.

any help would be appreciated.
if you need anymore information, your probably going to have to help me figure out how to look it up.

You better try to download and run the official Lenovo BIOS.
WinPhlash Winphlash is a Windows based utility for flashing the BIOS on the TravelMate 420 series of notebook computers., Not Lenovo thinkpads. Below are instructions to assist with installing the utility and how to use the utility to flash your BIOS, should that be necessary. They may give you some clues. But I would want to attempt a repair of the BIOS with the Lenovo download. Read the instructions carefully, of course.

Here are the instructions for the Acer. I do not know if there is also a BIOS instal in Winphlash utility format for the Lenovo, but I have not heard of it, and we do a lot of Lenovo laptops:

To install the Winphlash utility, please follow these instructions.
1. Download the Winphlash utility to your hard drive from the
2. Drivers and Downloads section. Double-click on the file winphlash.exe to extract and install the application.
To use the utility to flash the BIOS, please follow these instructions.
1. You will need to ensure that you have the latest BIOS ROM file from our
2. Drivers and Downloads section. It is suggested that you you save this file to the winphlash directory, as it is required to flash the BIOS. Navigate to the winphlash directory:
C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd\WinPhlash\
3. Double-click on WinPhlash.exe to launch the program and view the box below.

winphlash

4. It is recommended to leave the defaults and only change the second input box.
Where it shows "Specify new BIOS file:" type in that line the name of the BIOS ROM file. If the file is in a directory other than the Winphlash directory, the full path to the file will be required. (C:\<directory name>\<filename.ROM>)
5. Press the Flash BIOS button to flash the BIOS.
6. Follow the instructions on screen. You should be prompted to reboot the system.

See how similar those instructions are to what you performed.
BIOS updates are extremely risky, and can ruin a motherboard.

well i have the latest bios rom file, well its the extention "WPH", i got it from lenovos website.
but i cant do it when i boot up normally cause i get the BSOD before i get a chance, so i tried doing it in safe mode but it wont let me. i get an error when i try to do it.
im currently running my computer in safe mode with networking, and just want to get this up and running again.

if i knew anything about flashing bios, i would not have done it, but since lenovo system update prompted me to do it, i did it, not knowing the consequences.

This is so atypical of Lenovo that it is hard to believe, and it concerns me very much. We have huge numbers of corporate clients using Lenovo products. There has never been a case of a BIOS download as a system update that I can remember.
What is the model of your computer?
You can find out if it is still under warranty on the Lenovo site. If so, it is a problem they may fix, but it is possible it cannot be repaired without a system board replacement.
It may not be fixable without Lenovo help. so I would get on the phone with them. Have your type number and serial number ready, as well as the date and time you got the system update notice, and the time of the download. They will want to know the method by which you installed the BIOS, and details about your battery, CMOS, etc.

the warranty for the laptop actually ran out last month, maybe a little longer ago, and its a Lenovo 3000 N100 notebook.

all i know is that the system update that comes with the computer prompted me to do a bios update which required me to flash bios.

i could give them a call and see what could be done, cause honestly if my MoBo got messed up from this and they wont fix it, well, thats just going to suck, and i dont find it very fair.

thanks for that post.
problem is, i did a flash bios, not knowing at the time how dangerous a flash BIOS was.
im guessing it went wrong, because i get a BSOD when i boot up normally and cant attempt to re-flash it with the old BIOS.
is there a way to really find out if it harmed my motherboard or not?

a failed flash will cause your motherboard to be a paperweight. Some motherboards have a failsafe CMOS which will re-internally reflash the bios upon hardware reset. Most don't. Consult your guide. IF not, you will have to send it to the manufacturer for reprogramming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back