BSOD after I start a game!

ojhasha

So everytime I start saints row 3 my computer has a BSOD and restarts. can you tell what is going on from the minidumps?? I dont know if all of the minidumps are from the game, but help is appreciated!! computer stats valid(dot)canardpc(dot)com/show_oc.php?id=2293907 put "." in (dot) I cant post links

Attachments

• minidump1.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 2
  • minidump2.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 1
  • minidump3.txt
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
  • minidump4.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
The first three crashes produced and error code 124, this is most often due to a hardware fault, please follow this guide and carry out all the recommended checks.

The fourth minidump has the code 101 which is most probably related to the 124 error and being caused by the same fault.

Let me know how the checks go and then we can decide what to do next.

If you can reproduce the crash a couple of times and then post the minidump file then I may get a better idea of the problem by debugging the minidump myself. Follow this:

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in Windows Explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. NOTE: If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored in a folder called minidump. The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop.

NOTE To zip up a file in Windows (all versions). Right-click the file or folder, click on Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder and save it to your desktop.
Open Windows Explorer, click on Desktop in the left column so you can see the zip file. In the left column click on C: > Windows > Minidump and then drag & drop any additional .dmp files into the zip folder.

Then send the zip file as an attachment in your next post.

The first three crashes produced and error code 124, this is most often due to a hardware fault, please follow guide and carry out all the recommended checks.

The fourth minidump has the code 101 which is most probably related to the 124 error and being caused by the same fault.

Let me know how the checks go and then we can decide what to do next.

If you can reproduce the crash a couple of times and then post the minidump file then I may get a better idea of the problem by debugging the minidump myself. Follow this:

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in Windows Explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. NOTE: If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored in a folder called minidump. The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop.

NOTE To zip up a file in Windows (all versions). Right-click the file or folder, click on Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder and save it to your desktop.
Open Windows Explorer, click on Desktop in the left column so you can see the zip file. In the left column click on C: > Windows > Minidump and then drag & drop any additional .dmp files into the zip folder.

Then send the zip file as an attachment in your next post.

ok, I downloaded driver identifier and downloaded new graphic and audio drivers. I also ran the memory diagnostics thingy and there was nothing wrong.

Attachments

• DUMPS.zip
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
Yes, you better do that. Nvidia driver installations automatically uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver, but ATI drivers are another story :rolleyes:

Yes, you better do that. Nvidia driver installations automatically uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver, but ATI drivers are another story :rolleyes:

ok i used the event viewer and this is what i got, i think this might show my problems but i dont understand it..

"Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:58 PM
Event ID: 18
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger" Guid="{C26C4F3C-3F66-4E99-8F8A-39405CFED220}"

Source: NetBT
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:53 PM
Event ID: 4321
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: -PC
Description:
The name "-PC :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address <my ip address>. The computer with the IP address <my ip address> did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer."

Source: Server
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:53 PM
Event ID: 2505
Description:
The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8B452EBE-0991-49B8-85E3-3CEE6BC555CB} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start."

Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:35 PM
Event ID: 7000
Description:
The AODDriver4.1 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

"Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:33 PM
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Keywords: Audit Success

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:29 PM
Event ID: 1001
Computer:
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x00000031, 0x00000000, 0x8db00120, 0x00000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 031412-17628-01.

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/14/2012 10:51:17 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer:
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}"

Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 3/14/2012 10:46:12 PM
Event ID: 7030
Computer:
Description:
The AODService service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

all these errors came up when i start saint row 3...

The games I played are single player that does not use nonlinear multiplayer at all.. ill post some minidumps

I have just analysed all the minidumps in post 3 and again most have the 124 error code. Four crashed within 9 seconds of boot up. One crash occured at just over 4 minutes and is code 101, the process in use is the game you mentioned, this is the only one that could indicate a problem with the ATI drivers, but I doubt that is the cause.

You say you completed all the steps in the guide I gave for the 124 error but you have not followed the advise to update windows. The dumps show you do not have Service Pack 1 installed. Is there a reason for that?

Did you run the disk check and what did the results show, were there any bad sectors reported?
Follow this to post the log:

Follow this guide to find the chkdsk log. NOTE: You need to do the search for wininit not chkdsk.
Windows 7 Disk Check log

Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Submit/Post Quick Reply and your done.

I would suggest you run a better scan on the memory than the one you used from within Windows. Follow this guide and run it overnight.

Please read all the instructions before starting.

IMPORTANT
Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

Preliminary checks
For a new build: You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.

For older PC's: Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts: Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.

If the error you are experiencing is frequent, or you are unable to boot the PC without a crash occuring, you could first try removing all but one of your RAM sticks. Then boot up the PC and see if the problem persists. If it does, shut down the PC and swap the sticks around and try again, repeat this untill all sticks have been tried. If the error only occurs with one particular stick then there is no need to continue with the tests simply get the stick replaced with an exact match. (Ask for guidance if required).

Download Memtest86+ from here
If you wish to run the test from a USB flash drive use this link Auto installer for USB key
When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing
  • Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence.
  • Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
  • Leave the test to run through at least 8 passes or until it is showing some errors.
  • If errors show in the test, stop the test and remove all but one of your RAM sticks then start the test again. Repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty.
NOTE: This is a long slow test and for convenience should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

P.S. There is no need to quote a helpers post in your replies just use the helpers name when replying to what each helper has suggested :).

I have just analysed all the minidumps in post 3 and again most have the 124 error code. Four crashed within 9 seconds of boot up. One crash occured at just over 4 minutes and is code 101, the process in use is the game you mentioned, this is the only one that could indicate a problem with the ATI drivers, but I doubt that is the cause.

You say you completed all the steps in the guide I gave for the 124 error but you have not followed the advise to update windows. The dumps show you do not have Service Pack 1 installed. Is there a reason for that?

Did you run the disk check and what did the results show, were there any bad sectors reported?
Follow this to post the log:

Follow this guide to find the chkdsk log. NOTE: You need to do the search for wininit not chkdsk.
Windows 7 Disk Check log

Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Submit/Post Quick Reply and your done.

I would suggest you run a better scan on the memory than the one you used from within Windows. Follow this guide and run it overnight.

Please read all the instructions before starting.

IMPORTANT
Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

Preliminary checks
For a new build: You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.

For older PC's: Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts: Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.

If the error you are experiencing is frequent, or you are unable to boot the PC without a crash occuring, you could first try removing all but one of your RAM sticks. Then boot up the PC and see if the problem persists. If it does, shut down the PC and swap the sticks around and try again, repeat this untill all sticks have been tried. If the error only occurs with one particular stick then there is no need to continue with the tests simply get the stick replaced with an exact match. (Ask for guidance if required).

Download Memtest86+ from here
If you wish to run the test from a USB flash drive use this link Auto installer for USB key
When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing
  • Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence.
  • Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
  • Leave the test to run through at least 8 passes or until it is showing some errors.
  • If errors show in the test, stop the test and remove all but one of your RAM sticks then start the test again. Repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty.
NOTE: This is a long slow test and for convenience should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

P.S. There is no need to quote a helpers post in your replies just use the helpers name when replying to what each helper has suggested :).

ok i did the chkdsk thingy and got no bad sectors
" Log Name: Application
Source: Chkdsk
Date: 3/15/2012 3:13:14 PM
Event ID: 26212
Level: Information
Description:
Chkdsk was executed in read-only mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is COMPAQ.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
220416 file records processed.

File verification completed.
738 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

44 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
248506 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
220416 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 4680 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4680 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4680 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
14046 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
33665240 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

107948735 KB total disk space.
97583512 KB in 64369 files.
37028 KB in 14047 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
326915 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
10001280 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
26987183 total allocation units on disk.
2500320 allocation units available on disk.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Chkdsk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">26212</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-15T22:13:14.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3000</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>StevenLang-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is COMPAQ.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
220416 file records processed.

File verification completed.
738 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

2 EA records processed.

44 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
248506 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
220416 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 4680 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4680 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 4680 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
14046 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
33665240 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

107948735 KB total disk space.
97583512 KB in 64369 files.
37028 KB in 14047 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
326915 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
10001280 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
26987183 total allocation units on disk.
2500320 allocation units available on disk."

i also did the memory diagnostics and nothing was found

Did you miss this bit:
P.S. There is no need to quote a helpers post in your replies just use the helpers name when replying to what each helper has suggested
And this question:

You also ran the disk check with the command chkdsk without the /r on the end so it will not have done as thorough a check as it should have. Nevertheless the result is ok.

Now follow this guide to stress test your graphics card. Please read carefully and attach the results folder to your next post. Please do not use the "quote" button when replying, just type in the message box and click on Post Quick Reply.

OCCT Instructions
  • Download OCCT and save to the desktop.
  • Extract the contents of the zip file to the desktop.
  • Double click on the OCCT folder to open it and then double click on the OCCT icon
    OCCT.jpg
    to run the program.
  • Click on the GPU 3D tab. Check the Automatic and the Error check buttons, set the duration for 1 hour and leave the rest set at default. Click on the green ON button and leave the test to run. Make sure all programs and your browser are closed and do not use the PC during the test.
  • When the test ends click on the OFF button to close the software.
  • The Results window should open, if not open Documents > OCCT. You should find a folder with todays date on it. Zip the folder and send it as an attachment with your next post.
NOTE

If the test stops before the set time this will indicate it has detected a fault. The program will still save a results folder for you to post.

If the tabs for the PSU and GPU are greyed out it means your DirectX 9 version is too old. OCCT requires DirectX 9.
You can manually check it easily : just look for the file d3dx9_37.dll in the following folder C:\Windows\System32
If it is not present, just download the latest Direct X9 Update for your OS and everything should run fine afterwards.

Sorry, had to split picture because it went over 200kB

Attachments

• 2012-03-15.zip
    142.9 KB · Views: 2
  • New folder (2).zip
    123.2 KB · Views: 2
  • New folder.zip
    157.4 KB · Views: 1
  • pictures.zip
    175.2 KB · Views: 2
Tmagic650, are you having a problem with the posted minidumps:
Try to locate the minidumps using these directions. The mminidump file you posted is empty.
You'll see in post 12 I analysed the minidumps that were posted in post 3, that file is not empty, it has 6 minidumps in it :)

Ojhasha, for the third time of asking, will you please answer this:

The test was stopped right on the last minute, was there any reason for that?

The results look ok but it is showing your +12V supply is only +9.8V, this could be a sensor error, please check in your Bios what the +12V supply is showing.

@mark56 sorry, i dont understand how do i do a "vanilla" reinstallation or update windows. The test ended thats why it stopped. And i have no idea why i dont have service pack 1 installed

i dont understand how do i do a "vanilla" re-installation

I have not mentioned this, but it means to reformat the drive to wipe everything off it and then re-installing windows. If you are considering this then that is your choice, but if it is a hardware problem, as the Minidumps suggest, it will not repair the problem.

To get updates you need to go to the Control Panel and then open Windows Update and turn it on. You most probably do not have SP1 because you have Windows Update turned off.

So far the only suspect is your power supply. I would recommend you get it tested before we try and find other causes. The 12V supply is suspect and could be the cause of the problem, what does it show in the Bios.

Back