BSOD error code 0x00000116 after system recovery to factory specs, won't boot

Mark Fuller

I have a friend with a HP Pavillion who had to do a system recovery due to a virus. We did a system recovery both from the hard drive and the cd's, now when he tries to boot up he gets the BSOD 0x00000116 error code with a message about memory error and a physical memory dump. It recommends to go into the BIOS and disable caching and shadowing but when I go into the BIOS if find no such settings.

0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. Updating the drivers from HP's site would be the answer.

As for limited BIOS access you can thank HP for that. Dell does the same thing.

Question: Before doing a system recovery did you make sure first that the system was completely clean of all infections?

I was unable to remove a virus and and tried to reformat but was unable to reboot so I was unable to download a new driver, however, per another tech,s instructions I downloaded a free version of killdisk and wiped the disk clean with it and then did a factory image restore with the recovery cd's and everything worked fine and I downloaded a new driver.

Back