2 x PCI
Hard Disk: 1tb WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1
RAM: two 4gb ddr2
DVD/CD ROM Drive: Sony HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20
Network Adapters: RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
PSU: 550 watt Antec True Power
Graphic Card- nVidia 9800gt ECO

Problem(in steps)-
1) I had win xp sp2 64 bit installed initially. was showing really slow performance so decided shifting to win7.

2) did a fresh installation of win7 64 bit after formatting the system drive I.e. C drive.

3) got around 6 bsod screen within 12 hrs of prior to the installation. among 6 of them 4 were showing problem with ntoskrnl.exe and rest two from dxgmms1.sys and
nvlddmkm.sys

4) deleted the partition and reinstalled Win7. installed the most recent and compatible drivers. everything was running fine till I got one BSOD this evening with error in "dxgkrnl.sys"

Now, I don't have any idea how to solve it because I have already tried other methods like-
- system restore.
- registry clean.
- check disk. etc.

attached are the two minidumps in a zip file. please have a look at them.
first one is from 1 of the 6 bsod errors with previous installation of win7
second one is the recent one.
View attachment Minidumps_Win7.zip

please reply soon and help me out here. I'm thinking of shifting back to xp only.

First, the minidump prior to the installation of Windows 7 is not any help for diagnostic purposes.

Second, please refrain from all regisrty cleaners/fixers. We here at TechSpot have found that they cause a whole lot of problems and resolve little if any issues.

Third, ntoskrnl.exe, dxgmms1.sys and dxgkrnl.sys are all Windows OS drivers and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much use for diagnostic purposes. However, the latter two do have to do with video and nvlddmkm.sys is an Nvidia driver.

Fourth, your second minidump is an 0x3B error and though it too cites an OS driver these errors are usually caused by faulty video drivers.

Therefore, I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

thanks

though i have the latest nVidia driver installed but i'll try Driver Sweeper as you suggested.

another BSOD screen...and i'm gonna shift back to XP

Try the driver released just prior to the latest. We often see the latest causing issues.

already done that

i think the driver prior to the latest one was one of the causes in the 6 BSOD errors during previous win7 OS.

latest one caused just one :D

Back