BSOD in Vista, not in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I bought my laptop last February 2009, it came with a Vista Home Premium OEM. I have C2D 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB partitioned into two separate drives. On Drive C I have Vista, on Drive D I have Ubuntu. Almost four months later (today) I am getting some BSODs on Vista. I have this PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error showing up. I've viewed in three times and it showed no file being affected. I've also run Windows Memory Diagnostics and it showed no error too. And it doesn't affect my Ubuntu installation so I can say that it's not my RAM that's been hit.

Anyway, I have attached 3 dump files.. I wish you could help me because 3months for a laptop? That's weird.

All 3 Minidumps state eamon.sys being your: ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Uninstall NOD32

Restart

Try Free Antivirus like Avast or Avira Antivirus

All done :grinthumb

Oh I'd suggest to confirm Avira is updated, and then run a full scan

Will try that. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

It's my first time handling BSODs, and I feel like I wanna learn them (i'm a bit of a techie myself). So, are the dump files more like HijackThis logs, where you can easily see them? I tried viewing them on Ubuntu but they can't be opened using the command less. How can I view them? Dumpchk.exe?

I uninstalled ESET NOD32, then about 5mins after I restarted from the uninstall, I got the first minidump. Then, I was deleting ESET folders in the registry, when I got the BSOD again. Dump files are attached.

I'm posting this under Ubuntu. I'm starting to love Ubuntu again.

Oh wait, there are no dumpfiles? What happened? I can't find the dumpfiles on C:/Windows/Minidump

Ok so here is the minidump file I got. I had no idea that I had to reload Vista again to get the file. Please please, read it.. Thank you!

Ok so I learned how to read the dump files, and with this two dumpfiles, can I say that it is the utorrent.exe that is causing the problems? Am I right in saying that?

utorrent (not supported here) is a file sharing P2P application that usually (well always actually) allows insecure access to your computer.

Info on using P2P Programs => https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic124748.html

I believe you are best to go through this guide: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
And decide on creating a New Thread in the Virus and Malware removal forum
Here's a quote from part of that guide:

Quote from 8-Step Removal Guide:
Uninstall File Sharing/P2P Programs

During the cleaning process all File Sharing Programs should be uninstalled
This is to avoid any possible reinfection of any malwares through file sharing

We reserve the right to withdraw our support:
  • If such programs are found in your logs
  • Should you not agree to their removal.
As they are normally set to bypass your Firewall and Anti-Virus software
Filesharing/P2P Programs serves as a constant threat to your computer

Good luck :grinthumb

I uninstalled the utorrent and reinstalled it again. I think I may have found the solution.

When I use Ubuntu, I also download torrent files using Transmission BitTorrent Client. It seems faster than my uTorrent in Vista. Then when I feel like switching to Vista again, I reload the .torrent file from Ubuntu to continue the download, but uTorrent reports incorrect percentages (e.g., 50% of the file was downloaded as stated by Transmission BitTorrent Client, but when reloaded to uTorrent, it only shows around 10% or so). That's when I realize that it is probably the cause of the BSOD. Oh, the cons of dual booting.

Thank you guys. I've learned to troubleshoot and correctly identify BSODs with your help. Looking forward to "try" and help other people here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back