BSOD on new Acer laptop 4520G

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerardNaidas

Hi Guys. Im a pilot and have just gotten an Acer 4520G that i use to review for my upcoming airline technical computer based training.
AMD Turion TL58
2 GB RAM (i added 1 GB to the original spec)
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

It crashes all the time now... the last one is as follows:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 13321

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 0000000D
BCP2: 849FCC70
BCP3: 34344D43
BCP4: 003EFD90
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Several crashes before that,

Problem signature:

BCCode: a
BCP1: 007C95C4
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 823C7FE9

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032408-01.dmp
C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-77719-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC457.tmp.version.txt

Problem signature:

BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000D
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000

Its soo bad now. Please help! Im a newbie so please give me easy instructions...

For any one who can help, I promise to give free airplane ride in the Philippines! Offer's legit guys!

Very best regards,
Gerard

Please attach
attach.gif
this file to a new reply
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032408-01.dmp

To get to this folder quickly. Click on Start --> Run --> C:\Windows\Minidump

here goes..

Ive tried to send it but i think the files too large at 135kb... i tried and zipped it. hope i didnt screw up!

Bad news... there are 31 minidump files!

Inside the 1 MiniDump:
BugCheck C2, {d, 849fcc70, 34344d43, 3efd90}
Probably caused by : SYMEVENT.SYS

You likely have Norton Antivirus installed.
Your best option would be to fully uninstall Norton from Add/Remove Programs (in Control Panel)

Then install AVG Free Antivirus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff
(update it fully when complete install)

This should fix your fault (and speed up your computer at the same time)

:)

wow!

Wow! awesome!

I am now uninstalling Norton Internet security program ... i have Avast anti virus ... is it any good? I tried AVG free before but it didnt work and slowed my system to a halt.. Would i be pushing it if i send some more dumps?

Let me know when you visit my country, i owe you ok

Remove Norton
Restart
Keep Avast
Install AVG Free

Update

That's it

Would i be pushing it if i send some more dumps
No need, it is now fixed !

By the way, I'm scared of plane travel, too much watching TV :(
I'll take a rain cheque ! And wish you the best :)

heres one more minidump

here goes this one... should i send a one each month? i have dumps dating starting november... arrgg

Please do the above (my last post to you above)

I will not read the minidump, unless you reply with more issues (say tomorrow or sometime - if ever!)

Edit:

I note the heading of this thread has been shortened significantly
In future, please keep your thread headings short as well.

Problematic .

Sir kimsland,

Here she goes again. I did everything as per instruction save for AVG free, cant seem to download it, must be an ISP thing.

I did a scan using Avast! and i let it run through the night... this AM there it was, had a BSOD again.

Problem signature:

BCCode: a
BCP1: 004D5D08
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 820867E0

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini042208-01.dmp
C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-11763785-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCA44.tmp.version.txt

:(

Back again!

Inside the 1 MiniDump:
BugCheck A, {4d5d08, 2, 1, 820867e0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe

In general this fault points towards faulty Ram, running Memtest for 7 Passes will need to be completed to eliminate it as a possibility.

But it can also be due to old drivers (namely Sound and/or Video card drivers)
You should download the most up to date drivers from your manufactures support page.
Then fully uninstall your Sound And Video drivers (presently installed)
And then install the new downloaded drivers fully

But I'm concerned about AVG Free not working as well.
If I were at your computer, I'd also un-install Avast (Windows firewall will do anyhow)
Then use this direct link to AVG Free: http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/inst/avg75free_524a1293.exe
(By the way it's 36Meg ! So I take it that you have high speed Internet?)
Install AVG Free update (actually do 3 updates in a row on first install)
Then complete a full scan (what's the bet that you have issues that Norton didn't see, I'd say highly likely)

Once you have done all that (more!)

Download and run CCleaner (as there will be a lot of unwanted temp files hanging around)

It would also be advisable to remove all the old MiniDumps in c:\windows\MiniDump folder
ie We're only interested in new ones.

Anyway, that's what I'd recommend.
Also re-confirm that Norton (in Add/Remove) is fully gone (ie live update, and live reg too)

Results are in

Followed your instructions though I used VIsta's memory diagnostic tool, scanned it 7 times no error found. (used normal scan though). I removed Norton Internet security, live update and live reg. Couldnt download AVG through the link though(my DSL is not opening some sites- another issue for another forum i guess) so i put Avira AntiVir instead. I downloaded CCleaner and that worked great! The drivers i havent updated yet (again, that stupid internet connection problem!)No BSOD so far ! Will keep you posted. Thanks again Kimsland!

If I just might add, Norton is notorious for leaving remnants of their software behind even after uninstalling and that can wreck havoc when using another antivirus, firewall, etc.

It is such an issue that Norton (Symantec) actually made a utility to remove all of their program. You might want to consider going to their website and use their removal tool.

Your error is 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP and is defined as
one of three types of problems occurring in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Your minidump cited hardware as the issue but that is too general for any definitive help. So let's do the following:

1. Run ChkDsk (just as I spelled it) in your Run Box at your Start Menu.

2. Run MemTest on your RAM. Go to www.Memtest.org, download their latest file version and burn it to a CD. Then reboot and go to your BIOS (press the Del button on your keyboard right as the system restarts; if it loads to the Windows screen you'll have to start over) and in your BIOS look for your Boot Sequence and place your CD/DVD Drive as first bootable. For Memtest to work this drive must be first. Reboot your system with the CD already in the drive; the test will take over. Let it run for a minimum of 7 passes. This takes a long time so I suggest starting it before you go to bed and checking it the next morning. If you have any errors you need to replace your RAM.

3. Run a full harddrive diagnostics on your harddrive, Find out the manufactrurer of your harddrive from Acer, go to the manufacturer's website and download their free utility and run it. This also takes time but well worth it.

4. Go to Acer's website and download the latest drivers for your system.

5. SP1 for Vista has been giving people issues. Before you installed were you having problems?

6. If you continue to have problems your laptop is still under warrenty and Acer needs either to fix or replace. (I wonder if it might not be a bad NIC card)

Found the culprit!

Bad RAM. The Acer came with Hymex or something(a korean brand) 1GB RAM. I added 1GB more an Apacer. When the shop removed the apacer nothing happened for a couple of days.. when they reinstalled the Apacer and took out the other in about 5 mins it BSODed. Im waiting for the replacement RAM still...

An open question, Can incompatibility between two brands of RAM cause problems too? Even if it is similar spec? Any good putting 2 2GBs instead of just one 2GB? Thanks

Incompatibility will definitely cause issues. They can be a different brand just as long as they match timings, etc. Check with ACER for the type of memory configurations your laptop's motherboard can handle.

It is good that you went wwith 2 gigs because Vista functions much better with 2 gigs.

For the future G.Skill, Crucial, and Kingston make excellent laptop memory. I upgraded my daughter's laptop from a 2x512 configuration to a 2x1 gig Crucial memory configuration and it loads better, etc.

update!

Hey guys Im proud to report that no blue screens since ram replacement. now ive put in 1pc 2GB RAM and 1pc 1GB RAM. The computer guys said that since i have only 32bit vista RAM can be maxxed out at something like 3.5 or something. im attaching CPUZ of my results.

Any suggestions on how i can max out performance? thanks!

They're not exactly correct. More info H E R E

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file : http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

What does this all mean?

Well Xp can see beyond 2Gig of Ram (up to 4 Gig)
But in reality, Windows Xp Fat32 will NEVER use above 2 Gig of Physical Ram (that I'm presently aware of anyway)

Edit:

Oh thanks for the update :)

is vista 32bit XP in disguise?

Vista Home Premium shipped free with my Acer... and i added 3 GB ram.. i thought its maxxed out already... grr stupid computer repairman guy. DO i need to fix anything for vista 32bit?

Also, why so many flavors of Vista?

Any tips on increasing performance? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back