BSoD on WC3 DotA

kokoro

Hi

recently I get the BSoD in every dota game I play even COD is crashing

I tried numerous solutions like updating drivers and bios
I doubt that the problem might be the temperature.
A friend of mine told me that the problem is in RAM but doesn't know the specific one.

So I hope anyone here could helpme solve this problem

I run on WIN7 4g ram ASUS G

thank you in advance
here is my minidump

Attachments

• 070711-14320-01.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

Let's start doing some proactive diagnostics by running memtest on your memory.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Its still early here so I'll use it for some questions:

Is it necessary to burn an ISO file on CD or I can just mount it?

Its still early here so I'll use it for some questions:

Is it necessary to burn an ISO file on CD or I can just mount it?

I never tried mounting so I don't know. I've only ever used ISO burned to a CD.

Alright,
so I ran the memtest..it ran for past 5 hours and got 10 passes without errors.

Recently the problem worsened, It would crash even if I just watch some videos on youtube, also it occurs more frequently.

I went to a local Computer repair center.
The worker provided some assumptions:
He said the problem might be because of different RAM model(?) ( I have 4g ram and I believe a have 2 sticks of RAM, one of those probably is placed deeper inside so I haven't reached it yet.) So basically, there are two not matching ram sticks(?).

Also the worker mentioned about low quality Windows basing on separated into 2 disk drivers. He also mentioned something about re-installing windows. That's something I didn't quite buy.

However, all his assumptions led me to an idea that the provider of this laptop might be at fault. I bought this laptop at newegg.com.

What do you think?

I have absolutely no idea what is meant by low quality Windows being split on two disks. Windows is fine using several hard disks, I use loads in my PC, and two separate disks, one for the OS, and another for games and applications without any issues at all. Its perfectly fine.

If its a laptop, I think your issue might well be overheating due to build-up of dust on the heatsink cooling fan.

Download HWMonitor, install it, and run it please. Then run a game, and play for a few mins (like 15 mins or so), and report back to us with the maximum temperatures reached.

That'll quickly tell us if overheating is an issue.

Ok,

lets assume that I'm completely sure that dust problem is not valid here.

However I will try to test the temperature while playing

but once again.. the recent problems are occurring even while I'm just using a browser...

EDITED:

Ou actually I have this programm and If I recall teh maximum temperature would be 60-75 degrees C
the intel core i7 would be even higher..70 - 80
WDC is always low about 30-50
the NVIDIA around 55

We're talking about a laptop, so why would we assume its dust free?

Have you stripped and cleaned it?

He said the problem might be because of different RAM model(?) ( I have 4g ram and I believe a have 2 sticks of RAM, one of those probably is placed deeper inside so I haven't reached it yet.) So basically, there are two not matching ram sticks(?).

If you have not seen the second RAM module why do you think they are not matching?

Did you replace one of them recently, prior to the BSOD's occuring?

Go to this site http://www.crucial.com/ click on the "System Scanner" tab and then click on "Scan my Computer", download the scanner and run it. A small diagram will be displayed in the results showing what is in each slot. Post back here with the results.

Then your RAM will be matched as supplied when the PC was new. That's assuming you had it from new, if not the online check may be worthwhile.

The Minidump file is from July 7th, have you got any more recent ones, if so please send them in.

I notice in the minidump one of the parameters points to PCI Express, this could unfortunately indicate a faulty GPU. As this is a Nvidia GPU you may have one of the faulty GPU's that Nvidia produced from a couple of years ago. You may be lucky enough to be able to get this replaced free of charge.

See this thread http://www.nvidiadefect.com/qosmio-pci-express-error-t383.html

results from scanning

Memory:
DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 0
2GB
2GB

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Memory or DRAM is the 'working' memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.

video - installing memory

_________

By the way, I receive no minidumps since 2nd of august, though i had several similar errors just prior yesterday. Also I wonder if this may be related but the screen got some minor problems, too. Sometimes it's screen would appear yellowish, the problem can be fixed just by shaking a laptop a little bit.

My laptop is ASUS G53J.

That latest minidump states the crash was caused by FLXHCIC:SYS which is from Fresco Logic, USB 3 controller. Do you know anything about this, did you install it?

Shaking the laptop to cure a bad image would suggest something is loose.

No, I have no idea what it is nor I have installed it. What is that? AN how serious the problem is if everything till today was caused by this?

extra for the dump

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 10d
BCP1: 000000000000000A
BCP2: FFFFF880009E1650
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFFA800700A2B0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I have read several other recent threads where the problem of BSOD's is related to this driver, FLXHCIC:SYS. That is not conclusive proof that it is the route cause of all your problems.

BSOD's can often pin point a driver incorrectly and be quite misleading as to the real cause. If you had five or six minidumps blaming this driver then that would be more conclusive.

A quick way to eliminate this as the cause is to rename it. Open Windows Explorer,
click on the > next to the C: drive,
scroll down and click on the > next to Windows then System32
then click on the folder named "drivers" (not "driver store") so its contents displays in the right hand pane.
Scroll down the list and locate FLXHCIC.SYS.

Right click on the file and select "rename", change .SYS to .OLD. Do not delete it, renaming it will allow you to easily reverse the change if it makes no difference.

Are you using anything on your USB connections?

OK, rename that file as instructed and then see if the problem continues. If the mouse fails to work try it in different USB connectors as they may not all be using USB 3.

Please report any error messages and send in the minidumps if you get any more BSOD's.

I see from your computers specifications that it only has one USB 3 port. I would suggest you look in the manual to identify which one it is so you can then be sure the mouse is not connected to it before disabling the driver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to this, which i commented on earlier:

Sometimes it's screen would appear yellowish, the problem can be fixed just by shaking a laptop a little bit.

You said you had stripped and cleaned the PC. The fault that messes up the graphics would indicate that there is a loose connection, it is therefore quite likely you disturbed a connection inside the PC.

A loose connection could be the route of the problem. I would suggest you strip the machine down again and check every connection very carefully if the USB 3 driver fix doesn't change anything.

How old is this PC and is it still under warranty?

You may get some information on the errors from Event Viewer, just type Event in the search box from Start and then click on "Event Viewer" as the menu pops up. http://www.windows7update.com/Windows7-Event-Viewer.html

well the BSoD occurred even before I have done anything to the laptop.

Recently I do not receive any errors. Usually if the problems begins..it occurs for 3-4 days then I just start to find out what's the problem and the problem would be gone for a while. Could it be actualyl a heat problem if that's it then its just way to frustrating...

Ok, I can only repeat what I have said about there being a loose connection.

The fault that appears on screen is cured by shaking the PC so that more or less proves there is a loose connection. This would also explain why the fault is intermittent. Your temp read out is normal so it is not going to be a heat problem unless the fault occurs when you have the laptop in a position where the vents are blocked.

I would point out that shaking the PC can damage the hard drive so it is not advisable to continue doing this to correct the fault with the graphics.

I'm giving as much advise as I can and asking questions which you have not replied to.

Have you tried any of the recent suggestions I have made?

Unless you take some positive action using the suggestions I have made we cannot eliminate anything as a likely cause in order to track down the fault.

First rename the USB 3 driver and see if that changes anything.
If the problem persists re-enable it.
Then strip down the PC and reseat every connection.
If you are not comfortable re-seating the connections which can be a delicate operation I would suggest you take the PC to a recommended repairer.

There is nothing else I can suggest until you start to perform some diagnosis.

Ok, I can only repeat what I have said about there being a loose connection.

The fault that appears on screen is cured by shaking the PC so that more or less proves there is a loose connection. This would also explain why the fault is intermittent. Your temp read out is normal so it is not going to be a heat problem unless the fault occurs when you have the laptop in a position where the vents are blocked.

I would point out that shaking the PC can damage the hard drive so it is not advisable to continue doing this to correct the fault with the graphics.

I'm giving as much advise as I can and asking questions which you have not replied to.

Have you tried any of the recent suggestions I have made?

Unless you take some positive action using the suggestions I have made we cannot eliminate anything as a likely cause in order to track down the fault.

First rename the USB 3 driver and see if that changes anything.
If the problem persists re-enable it.
Then strip down the PC and reseat every connection.
If you are not comfortable re-seating the connections which can be a delicate operation I would suggest you take the PC to a recommended repairer.

There is nothing else I can suggest until you start to perform some diagnosis.

I did rename it and no errors occurred since for now. As I said the problem would happen only periodically so now I belive it will be fine for a while.. I'll report the future events later thank you.

Ok, it happened again..this time while watching youtube.

Today I pushed my laptop a little bit: I played games, watched lots of videos, and then again the screen had some yellow lines, which was fixed by just picking it up, and hours alter it froze again with the same "ehhing" noise.

No minidumps again. Maybe it requires some options to be fixed to throw error logs?

Back