BSOD - registry errors?

ChrisX

I may have sabotaged my registry with "takeownership.reg". Had a JPG file with no owner that I could not delete, so tried "take ownership.reg" (it did not work at all). That night, the BSODs started.
Hope someone can help me!

Computer is HP Compaq 8000 Elite
Windows 7
8.00 GB RAM
Intel Core2 Duo CPU
minidump files attached

Attachments

• 091817-33509-01.zip
    537.3 KB · Views: 1
Thanks - and I'm sorry, but I should have mentioned that I already did a system restore to a restore point 5 days before the BSOD started, and it did not fix the problem. Any ideas on how to check and maybe repair the registry? This has happened on my PC, and I'm using my laptop to go online. I can't get online with the PC to download any fix software...

If takeownership is a program listed like other programs in Control Panel see if the computer will stay on long enough to uninstall it. That should get rid of the blue screens and you can tackle the original issue.

Take Ownership is not a program, and does not show up in the program list in Control Panel.
Here's what the web page for "How to add 'take ownership' to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer" says (www.howtogeek.com):
Take Ownership Menu Hacks
"These hacks are really just the runas key, stripped down to the new keys and values we talked about in the previous section and then exported to a .REG file. Running the hacks just creates or deletes the keys for adding the command to the context menu."

The PC will go into BOSD within seconds after loading Windows, unless it is in Safe Mode. That doesn't give me time to download any kind of repair software. I can't get online in Safe Mode. I am trying to copy the "Remove Take Ownership from Context menu (default).reg" file, from my laptop to my PC, while PC is in Safe mode, and see if using that helps at all.
...It does not. Windows will load, I see my files on my desktop, it cannot make a network connection, and BOOM! ...BOSD.

If you are still stuck and you have a W7 install disk start a repair installation of the OS. Not a great option but you'll get the registry sorted.

Alternatively, you could purchase a W10 key on eBay and download the corresponding ISO from Microsoft. It's likely to be be quicker than reinstalling and updating W7. If you move to W10 you need to back up all your personal data first or you will lose it.

Last edited:
I have to stay with W7 to keep my old version of AutoCAD working. I don't have a W7 install disk for my HP PC, but I have one for my Dell laptop - would that work?

I got the HP PC second-hand, with W7 already installed. I do not have an install disk, or an email from the purchase, or any other way that I know of, for finding the product key... is there a way to find it on the PC itself?

There is one program of doing this, when I repair computers for my customers and I need to reinstall their os.
This way is the quickest way to find out if the product key label was removed or not included on their brand name computers.
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/
I hope you would have enough respect not to abuse that program on a unauthorized computer elsewhere.
Otherwise you will be in a hot legal problem if they find out about it.

When Windows boots up OK there are several good programs to recover installation keys but if the computer crashes very quickly that won't work. There is usually a Microsoft sticker on older computers that tells you the Windows OS installed and a long number giving the registration key. It will consist of five groups of five digits/letters.

I don't know if the Dell disk will work or not but it is worth trying it. EBay has loads of stuff available to help you. There are repair disks for messed up systems like yours but you may need the registration key. Even if you have to buy an OS installation disk and new registration key it won't cost you that much.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have no reason to think of using that rjlsoftware for any unauthorized installation, and wouldn't, but thanks for the warning.
It worked fine, gave me the key in seconds.
Now that I have that, I can use a less-than-complete-OEM disk to repair, such as
Windows 7 All-in-One All Versions 32/64-Bit Repair, Reinstall, Restore Disc by Valley of The Sun $7.40
(found on Amazon, seller has 75 total ratings, 100% positive rating over past 12 months, seems trustworthy).
It's a pain to have to do all the OS updates, and reinstall all my software, but I think it will be the best result.
Thanks for all your help!

Bazz I know you are glad to get the product key back before the os crashed completely.
Becarefull of where you get your reinstall/fix-it os all dvd, I use to think like that a LONG time ago.
Its usually best to grab the original iso installation and not keep other crap people may include on the dvd.
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-7/528163c1-0b2e-4ad2-a26d-7112851d1dc2
Read the second link abit more closely, andre is really good at what he does.
Some issues I troubleshoot elsewhere that are more complicated.
I look at what he suggests first and see what has been tried by him.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/rc07a5r5r537fu6/Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool-Installer-en-US.exe
This is my copy of windows7usb tool, use this for your windows 7-8-10 iso's and sandisk flash drive at 8gb.

Last edited:
Wow. I have very little idea what to do with all of that - it's getting way more complicated than I expected. It will take me quite awhile to read thru and digest it all, while I am trying to continue my daytime job on this little laptop! So I will thank you now in advance, and maybe someday I can get down to actually fixing my PC! Thanks very much!

See, on the left side, under my name, where it says "TS Rookie"? There's a very good reason for that!

If you've ordered that disk just bang it in when it arrives. Assuming that it does what it claims follow up by running a few thorough security scans to check your system for nasties. Chances are all will be well. It's easy to get totally floored by the best advice. I suspect that we fail to solve the majority of problems posted on here. :)

Thank you again, Bazz - that puts me a little more at ease. Hope to have that disk by 9/28, will post results!

Please do. So often a thread just stops without providing any feedback. I try to learn from these threads too.

See, on the left side, under my name, where it says "TS Rookie"? There's a very good reason for that!

I see nothing there anywho, just take your time and read that stuff I mentioned and keep that software.
Good luck with your reinstall you will need it.

If the file used to 'takeownership' has the file extension of .REG, then you can:
  1. open it with Notepad
  2. or add .TXT after .reg and then safely just double click
either way, this allows you to verify what was modified.

NO WAY IN HECK that a JPG ownership change induced the BSOD, so IMO, if you perform (2) above, add the file to your next response....

Back