BSOD stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x838B6922

jsd73

Hi I've got this stop error message n don't know what to do to fix it.

I've got a packard bell easy note L4 series. Windows xp service pack 3.

windows loads up then reboot at the login page. I've pressed F8 and disabled automatic reboot at system fail and got blue screen with this error message ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x838B6922, 0xF790B7A8, 0xF790B4A4).

Can't get into save mode, or normal windows and nothing happens when selecting in F8 restore to last good load option.
Can't do chkdisk cause don't now how to do it.

Can anyone help PLEASE! Lol

Hi jsd73 :)

Unfortunately that Stop code is very broad and I cannot pin down the problem on the code alone. Since it is restarting at the login page it may be a driver that is loading and causing problems.

When you say you cannot get into safemode, does it restart when you select safemode?

To run chkdsk you will need to be able to get into safemode with command prompt, type chkdsk /f then press enter.

This can sometimes take a while, but let it doe its thing and if it restarts during chkdsk then let me know.

Stop error 0x0000007e help wanted

yes it loads up in safemode then reboots so cannot do anything with it in same mode

I updated my blackberry desktop software before and that was working ok. just now I turn on my laptop and it loads up then as soon as it gets to the page where I have to put in my password it reboots. ive gone into F8 and diabled the auto reboot on system failure and that when I can see the error message. its the same when I go into safe mode, it loads up then reboots.

last thing I did on my laptop was turn it on and it loaded it ok got past the login page and it had fully loaded it had connected to my broadband automatically like normal via wifi at home as I could see the icon at the bottom then I clicked on firefox and thats when my laptop died. I turned my laptop back on and thats when I started getting the trouble
Attached Images

Attachments

• IMG00016-20110530-2047.jpg
    IMG00016-20110530-2047.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for posting the image, the stopcode can be hardware or software (driver issues) so lets try rule out hardware for now, since it will be easier because all the programs are DOS based.

1) Memory testing. Have a read of this guide here on how to run memtest, personally I'd leave this running overnight as it needs at least 7-8 passed but sometimes errors don't show up in well into the program.
If there are no errors by the end of that, move onto the next program

2) Hard drive testing, lets just make sure there is nothing wrong with your hard drive which may explain the restarting if you have bad sectors. You will need to find out the make of your hard drive (e.g. seagate) as they have specific diagnostic tools for them. If you get back to me with the make, then I'll point you to the right program :)

Hi I've just got a copy of windows xp and got into the recovery option on the disk but it just gives me don't really know what to do with it as just in dos

C:\windows>

Done the CHKDSK /r couldn't do the /f just says not valid but /r option said error found and fixed.
I tried rebooting and now I can get the curser on the screen then it reboots deactivated the auto reboot and stil the same stop error message.

I've also got the universal boot disc I downloaded and there's loads of tools on that like memtest n that passed I've got a pic for you and that seagate that passed as well

Hope this is some use

Are you able to get into safemode now?

Seems like it may be a software issue, but just wondering how long you left memtest going for?

Thanks

I stil can't get into safemode but I did a disk surface scan last night and it came back all ok, then I rebooted and windows loaded and automaticly did a chkdsk which came back ok and carried on loading but then failed on login like before

The memtest was left running for 20 mins

I'd suggest leaving memtest at least overnight in order to rule out the RAM, 20 minutes isn't sufficient.

I suspect it may be a virus since it is not letting you into safemode. Only the essential windows drivers load when you run safemode so its probably not just an additional driver conflicting. I think a DOS based virus scanning program will be the next step, but I'll have to point you to the Virus removal guys (Bobbye & Broni) as they are fantastic at what they do. Jump over to this forum

If they clear you of an infection then you can come back here & I can continue :). I'll let one of them know what we have gone through.

Heres some of the results I got from some of the test I did off the ultimate boot disk I downloaded. ive also run the memtest again for a few hours and still all passed with no errors

I dont know if these will help.

Attachments

• IMG00022-20110601-2254.jpg
    IMG00022-20110601-2254.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00027-20110601-2359.jpg
    IMG00027-20110601-2359.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00030-20110602-0014.jpg
    IMG00030-20110602-0014.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2
Just to clarify, how are you getting into safemode?

Are you tapping F8 continuously and getting to a black screen with white writing that has different options for safemode?

Just checking, sorry if my replies are delayed over the weekend its a long weekend over here and I am up home.

No not getting into safe mode stil but down loaded "ultimate boot disk" from the website www.ultimatebootdisk.com on my mums pc and that's got some programs on it like memtest.

I did that yesterday for 9 hours , 14 tests and stil came back as all passed and clear.

I did the avira antivirus test smart scan on the disk and that came back with a trojen in intelide.sys. But doesn't tell me what the name of the trojen virus

All the programs on the disk boot up in dos with graphics and a menu extra but defin can't get into safe mode

Got to wait til monday and go to my mums pc and download all the programs needed to do the 7 step virus removel instructions.

Or do u think just to format the harddrive and reinstall windows xp will sort everything out?

Thanks for that, I was asking how you are trying to get into safemode just to clarify.

A format & reinstall doesnt guarantee a fix but if you don't have much data on it then it may be a quicker option. Its up to you as a user, does your mum have data on the machine?

If the problem is a hardware issue then a reinstall won't fix this, but since your RAM & hard drive are okay it seems to be more of a software issue

hi i tried this weekend i put the windows disc in my laptop and it loaded up got to to the 1st menu asking 1 to install 2 to repair ect and i pressed 1, then it came up with the menu 1 to install and 2 to repair installation so i pressed that and it carried on,
i skiped the activation code because the code on my laptop says it was the wrong code (dont know whats happening there lol) but it all went ok and now i can get into safe mode and everything seem on there all my old programs etc are still there.

when i click on to log into normal mode i can now add my password then a box comes up and says "Windows needs to be active. activate now with options yes or no" i click on yes and the screen just looks like it hangs nothing happens but stil got the curser on the screen and can move it about.

the busy lite stil flickers now and then. ive left it for a couple of hours just to see if it was just running slow but still no change.

So you haven't put any activation code in?
If you look on the bottom of your laptop for the sticker where the code is, it will say what version it is for. Does it say XP Home or XP Pro?

Also, what disc did you use to repair it, was it pro or home. Also check the service pack, does it say SP2 or 3

I've had this problem a few times with customer machines, especially after an infection or disk corruption where internet explorer has gone haywire, for some reason the activation needs IE in order to run properly. I've put together a tutorial on how to sort it out through safemode, see if you can get onto this site

Back