BSOD when trying to update Windows

Hi everyone,

I recently built a new system (like a month ago) and everything seemed fine at first and then I suddenly got 2 or 3 random BSOD while playing Diablo but everything else was running smooth. Afterward I got another while downloading something with steam (wasn't even using the computer).
It was kind of hard to get a BSOD at that point but right now I am able to get it every time I try to update Windows (I did all the updates successfully when I installed windows at first).

I am not sure where to start looking at.... I think it might be related to my network adapter or maybe my SSD drive but I am not really good at analyzing minidump so here I am!

Here's what in the system:
- Video card : [LEFT][FONT=arial]EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- Ram : [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- Motherboard: [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]ASUS P8Z77-V Pro[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- CPU : [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]Intel Core i5 3570K[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- HDD: [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]Western Digital 2TB[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- SSD: [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]OCZ Vertex 4 128GB[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=arial]- Power supply : Corsair TX750 V2[/FONT][/LEFT]
- Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

Drivers are up to date, Windows is not since I can't update it anymore :/
I also did prime95 torture test for like 2 hours and everything was fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    131 KB · Views: 6
I know many of you love ASUS by why? The minidumps are all the same. Non discript... I'm running a 60GB Kingston SSD drive as a back up with no problems. The OCZ might be your problem. Is is set on a SATA 3 port as AHCI in the bios?

SATA is configured as AHCI which is the default on this motherboard.

SATA 3 port is my DVD drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST (I am not really an ASUS fan by the way...)
The OCZ is on SATA 1 port and this is my primary drive for programs (Windows installed on it).

Since you say the minidump are not really helpulf :(
Here's a bit more info from the event viewer that might be interesting!

On every boot I get this Error: \SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Followed by this warning : The driver \Driver\GEARAspiWDM failed to load for the device IDE\CdRomASUS_DRW-24B1ST___c_____________________1.05____\5&30a253e9&0&2.0.0.

Do you think this can be related? You mentioned SATA 3 port and it is in fact my dvd drive....
I am gonna check online if I can find anything on this....
Also, I am not really using the dvd drive and I don't see how it can screw me on Windows update!!

Anyway thanks a lot!!

One more thing that might be related is a warning that seem to happen randomly and that doesn't look that good at all :/
I got like 20 of this over a month period.

Source: WHEA-Logger EventID: 19

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

By the way I am not overclocked, everything is set on default settings...

Yes I do :confused:

Under Other devices: PCI Simple Communications Controller

To be honest I don't know what this device could be... drivers are missing and I see that Location is PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

DVD drive is listed and appears to be fine in device manager

Well from what I gathered I seem to be missing the [LEFT]Intel Management Engine Interface driver.[/LEFT]
However, I am not able to install it because the setup fail for some reason :(

I have read online at some places that this driver is important and at some other that it isn't so I am not sure what to think of this...

Yes that's it. You should be able to get it from the motherboards support website. I have that on mine too

Well like I said the installation was reported has failed but it seem to be installed properly anyway :eek:

There is now no exclamation points in the device manager!!

Do you think this was my problem??
Also what about the others stuff I have in the event viewer like WHEA-Logger which is really bugging me...

Thanks!

Well I taught that was it but sadly it isn't since I just got the BSOD again ( I managed to update Windows somehow).

I am now thinking that this is related to the WHEA-Logger warning which happened just before my BSOD and a couple of times today too. I got that warning 23 times in last 24 hour which seem more then before...

Not sure what to think of this and would gladly take your input ;)

Thanks

Back