BSOD Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get random BSOD reboots on my PC. I am attaching the dump files. Hope there is a solution to this, pretty frustrating to get in the middle of something then have to start over. Thanks.

Hi there, have debugged your mini dumps and all four of them point to USBPORT.SYS as causing the issue.

This can be caused by a USB device malfunctioning, please list what devices you have attached to the USB ports.

This also can be caused by faulty RAM, a possible infection or out of date Chipset drivers, but first we will address the top issue :)

hey i also have the same problem and dont know what to do. my dump files also say that the cause is usbstor.sys and also the bsod said usbehci.sys. ive been looking for days and havent found anything. please help. i have an external sony dual layer burner and a printer hooked up to the usb ports. i have an external hdd i also hook up from time to time. i got an HP m7730n with winxp media center sp3. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Hi nine1,

So it doesn't get too confusing, please create your own thread and attach the dumps there.

The instructions may be different for both of you :)

Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the Dump files... It may not be the USBStor.sys is the cause, or that BSOD said USBEHCI.Sys is the cause...

Sometimes all the Dump file is reporting is that those devices dumped what they had in storage... but usually the DMP file is not reporting a cause... only that something caused the DMP or Dump from those devices.

In our experience, the HP Windows XP Media Center Edition or its communication with something in the m7730 is the cause. In our three county area, no relatively new machine gives us as many service calls as an HP machine with WXP Media Center Edition... and we have seen that a lot of them were sent back to HP for a rebuild. Some were replaced. Some had major hardware replacements.

So if still under warranty, or the problem is something that started with your HP when it was still under warranty, we suggest you call HP Tech support with your notepad full of notes about the history of the problem... or send them a long and detailed report that you have spent some time writing so that it can be helpful in getting things corrected.

Dump files don't always show what is exactly causing the problem, but they do point you in the somewhat correct direction. Going through the HP Tech Support, isn't always a fantastic way to get the job done as I have often had misdiagnosis through their technicians. They are quite happy to replace bits and pieces without getting the bottom of the issue.

It is up to the user however, which direction they choose to go in. Plenty of people have had this issue solved by not going through HP Tech Support, or replacing major hardware components.

Also the post I was replying to, was not by the member who said they had Windows Media Center installed

USB Devices Attached

I have several USB devices attached; 1. MS Sidewinder Mouse, 2 MS Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, 3. Belkin Nostromo Gamepad, 4. Internal flash memory reader/writer. I also have a zip drive and a 500MB backup drive attached but they are powered down. My PC is new only had it for a couple of weeks. I had it setup to dual boot; Vista and XP. Attached is a text file with the Vista System information. I have not used VIsta much for games I mostly use XP. Thanks for your assistance.

What is your graphics card?

I would suggest updating the drivers for your devices. Mouse and keyboard too

Also update your motherboard chipset drivers

-Download the new drivers for the device beforehand and save them to your desktop
-Make sure you uninstall your current drivers and then run a program like Driver Cleaner Pro in safemode before installing the new drivers
-Once it has cleaned out any remaining files, then install the new drivers

Post back with your results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back