BSOD with vista yay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciui

Hi! I had some BSODs in the last few weeks with Vista and I found this nice site :) hope you can help me!
I have also Ubuntu installed with wubi on this laptop and nothing strange ever happened when I used it, only with Windows
I didn't make changes in hardware or software lately and the crash happened two times when I was watching a video on vlc or online, the other times I wasn't doing anything, cause i was away from the pc.
I attached the 2 minidumps from todays crashes, hope you can help... :D
Thanks a lot!
claudia

oh the BS always says: page fault in non paged area

Claudia, please uninstall your Azureus bittorrent and tell us if doing so brings stability. I also recommend that you scan for viruses, trojans, etc.

I scanned everything and I don't have viruses it seems. I stopped using azureus and used utorrent instead and just a few minutes later I got the BSOD. I'm not using any torrent client now and it's working fine. But what's the problem?should I stop using torrent clients altogether or is there something I can do to fix it?

Honestly we are not a big fan of torrents because they can cause issues and can leave a person wide open for infections. It sounds like you use caution but the issue isn't with your PC it is with the torrent software causing conflicts and thus crashes.

Because I don't use this type of software I wouldn't want to tell you what to try and give you knowlegeable advice that I don't have.

What security software are you running and are you behind a router?

Ok, it just seems strange that I always used torrents and only now there is a problem...I read around that a good old format could do me good but I just did that 2 months ago and I'm not planning it in the near future :)
I run avira but I used the panda scan online to scan the pc...and yes I am behind a router and I opened only the port for azureus

Reformat is really a last resort so it is good you don't plan to do it again in the near future. ;)

Avira is very good. it is a bettwer antivirus than Panda. Have you scanned with Avira? What is your firewall and antispyware software?

I use the windows firewall :) and I have spybot installed to catch strange registry modifications...any advice on something else I should get?
thanks for the interest ;)

First, if the firewall is the Vista one that is okay but if it is XP it is very poor. I recommend for you the free Online Armor Firewall. It is very good and will work with XP and Vista as long as your OS is a 32-bit application. Also, if you choose another firewall you must disable your current one.

Keep in mind that a new firewall will in the beginning continually pop up asking if you want to do so and so. It is trying to learn your habits and though it may seem to be a pain it is actually doing what it needs to do.

For spyware and malware you can't beat Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. SAS has a free version and the only thing you need to do is to manually update it.

SAS does have a $ version.

With Avira, OA, DAS, and MB you will be well protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back