BSOD...

wakwak1214

Of course, it's that time of the year when I visit techspot...
BSOD popped up on Lenovo 3000 v100 Laptop, Intel CPU T2300 @1666mhz, 2gb RAM, runs Windows XP home (I Should have SP3 if not mistaken). The CD-ROM on this laptop has been out of commission for the past 3 years but we have no intention of scrapping the laptop yet as it can still do the basic things. We upgraded the RAM 2 years ago and replaced the keyboard early 2011. This is the first BSOD to pop up in the past 2-3 years. No new hardware was installed recently.

My mother was surfing the internet last nite and put it to sleep mode after she was finished. This morning when she turned it on, the computer didn't come out of sleep mode but had completely resetted, citing that it was shut down unexpectedly.
She also noticed that the clock/date has been off for a while and even when she sets it, it rolls back to the same time and date as before. Could this be the source of problems?

I've tried resetting several times, tried running Safe mode (with and without networking), last known working configuration, and loading normally but it still doesn't start up. It displays the Microsoft Windows XP loading screen then proceeds to the blue screen which displays this stuff:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

****STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8A96F370, 0XC0000185, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Hope someone can help!

No, both the CD ROM and the HD can be replaced quite easily. Take a look around new egg or any place you like to buy computer parts from. $89 us for a HD and $29 us for CD/DVD drive are average prices. If you don't know how to replace them, youtube search how-to. GL

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm guessing there's no way of picking up a few files off the old HD right? I didn't get a chance to back up some of the new files from April...

Put that old drive aside and eventually buy a USB external enclosure for a laptop drive and after you get the laptop up and running again, you might be able to recover your files from the drive if you are lucky. I do this sort of thing all the time. It is easy and fast...

Ok... I managed to get my hands on a USB external drive...and I can probably get my hands on an enclosure drive for fairly cheap (see one for 10$ with decent reviews).
I've done a little googling and it seems straight-forwardish...Just pop it in the enclosure and if I'm lucky, I might be able to grab something.

I've also read that you can freeze your HDD in a ziplock bag for a few hours?

Remove the drive from the laptop. Place it in the USB external inclosure. Install a new laptop hard drive in the laptop. Install Windows and all the updates and drivers for the laptop. Once Windows is fully installed, attach the external USB enclosure, and browse for your important flies and copy them to the laptop

Back