Building PCs for video editing class and have a question

ingeborgdot

I am building some PCs for a video editing class we are starting. I have most of the materials picked out what I will be using. The CPU will be the Xeon E3-1230 V2. We cannot overclock so I am going with a Xeon cpu. Anyway my question is with video editing and no gaming, Do I need an aftermarket cooler? Thanks.

I would recommend one (Maybe not the fanciest) but a decent one to help with the cooling of a xeon. Though like I said, I would not recommend anything fancy, just something to add a little airflow especially if your case is not huge and moving a lot of air.

Well with that case (Which is a good selection in my book), your air flow should be fine and keep that Xeon cool enough. I would still recommend a slightly better cooler like the one you have listed (Since these computers are not getting overclocked, I would not recommend a liquid because there are also class computers). The one you have listed would be sufficient enough to keep it nice and cool even under load since video rendering does put a nice strain on CPU's.

Since these comps are going to be video editors, having an after market cooler since they will be on probably a lot and doing a lot of strenuous activities, I would recommend at least the cooler you have listed just to improve them and make them last better.

I have made plenty of workstations in the past, so I know the ins and outs. I would not recommend a Xeon E3 over a i7 from past experience. What is your budget?

Around $1000 give or take a little. (including monitor, keyboard and mouse). Why would you not recommend an E3 over an i7?

Around $1000 give or take a little. (including monitor, keyboard and mouse). Why would you not recommend an E3 over an i7?

Well it matters what programs you will use. What video editing program will you use? And what version (CS6, CS5, etc.)

Yeah, you might want an i7 over an Xeon if that's the stuff your doing. If you don't wanna overclock, just get like the 3770 and save some money.

Well you do have a point, plus the 8 core processor is good at adobe and multi threaded stuff so it may work better in this scenario.

I am basing this build off of this benchmark from Tom's" http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-35-Adobe-After-Effects-CS6,3170.html.

I am providing you with overclock ready components (K series CPU, Z77 motherboard, Hyper 212 Evo), it is your choice. Trust me, overclocking your CPU increases performance a ton in photo/video editing software. With this cooler, you should be able to safely overclock to about 4.2GHz. Look up online how to overclock if you would like. It is up to you.

CPU: Core i5 3570K ($220)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK ($130)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo ($35)
RAM: 2x8GB of Corsair Vengeance ($130)
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 ($200)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 450 128GB ($130)
PSU: Corsair HX650 ($105) This is a high end PSU that you dont necessarily need (you need a PSU, but you can swap out a cheaper one), but this one is modular (better cable management) and is gold certified (very efficient). It is a good addition to a $1000 build.
Case: Corsair 200R ($50)

Well you do have a point, plus the 8 core processor is good at adobe and multi threaded stuff so it may work better in this scenario.

After my research I concluded that a i5 is a better choice. Usually for video/photo editing workstations, I use i7s, so I wasnt familiar how a i5 performed, hence the research. The 8350 was slaughtered by the i5, something I didnt expect.

Yeah, you might want an i7 over an Xeon if that's the stuff your doing. If you don't wanna overclock, just get like the 3770 and save some money.
Anybody that comes to this forum wanting to build any sort of real performance PC should be urged to buy a "K" model.

I've seen sales where the "K" CPUs were actually less than the locked models.

Even when they're not, the average person wastes the $20.00 price difference in a week , and the average Scrooge,certainly in a month.

The do-over is the price of the CPU +20. Why not get it right the first time?

With BIOS multiplier overclocking, you can easily overclock a bit for the duration of a major project, then reboot through BIOS and reset the multiplier to normal when you're done.

True, but remember guys, hes making this for classroom PC's, like as in school and lots of different students are probably using these machines. So even with an unlocked model, I don't think he would want to overclock or mess with that as others are going to use it etc.

But the Xeon model would not be a better selection than an I7, I would suggest that or an FX 8000 Series chip for Video editing and rendering.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-9.html

According to this, in thigns like Premiere pro, the FX does pretty well, now the I7 can still be just as good a choice as the i7 for heavily threaded apps and rendering on the Adobe side.

True, but remember guys, hes making this for classroom PC's, like as in school and lots of different students are probably using these machines. So even with an unlocked model, I don't think he would want to overclock or mess with that as others are going to use it etc.
Well, you know what they say, "when the class is away, the instructors will play".

But the Xeon model would not be a better selection than an I7, I would suggest that or an FX 8000 Series chip for Video editing and rendering.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-9.html

According to this, in thigns like Premiere pro, the FX does pretty well, now the I7 can still be just as good a choice as the i7 for heavily threaded apps and rendering on the Adobe side.

I will see for myself how the 8 core AMD fairs with a workstation environment in my next build. I think he should stick with my build though. AMD lags behind Intel in more then just raw speed.There are other factors to remember like memory bandwidth and such. The reason I stand clear of Xeons is because you cant just plop a E3v3 Haswell in a Z87 motherboard because 1)it isnt listed as compatible, so you will run into compatibility issues 2)Z87 doesnt support ECC memory. I recommend he stays with a more consumer friendly CPU like a i5. The 2mb of extra cache in the E3 wont help much.

Agreed, however I still stand by the capability in video editing on the fx chip.

However with the intel, since he's also not gonna overclock, the i7 is my recommendation. The extra threads and the brute force from the i7 would make an editing pc nice.

Actually we are using Sony Vegas because of the learning curve of the Adobe. Maybe as the course matures we may get into adobe but not at this point. So, does that change anything?
I am basing this build off of this benchmark from Tom's" http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-35-Adobe-After-Effects-CS6,3170.html.

I am providing you with overclock ready components (K series CPU, Z77 motherboard, Hyper 212 Evo), it is your choice. Trust me, overclocking your CPU increases performance a ton in photo/video editing software. With this cooler, you should be able to safely overclock to about 4.2GHz. Look up online how to overclock if you would like. It is up to you.

CPU: Core i5 3570K ($220)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK ($130)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo ($35)
RAM: 2x8GB of Corsair Vengeance ($130)
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 ($200)
SSD:OCZ Vertex 450 128GB ($130)
PSU: Corsair HX650 ($105) This is a high end PSU that you dont necessarily need (you need a PSU, but you can swap out a cheaper one), but this one is modular (better cable management) and is gold certified (very efficient). It is a good addition to a $1000 build.

That is a nice build but it won't work because I have no mouse, keyboard, monitor, blu-ray burner, and card reader. That is part of the build.
I have already been told that we will not attempt any oc of any computers from the Tech head. Not that I intended that anyway.
An E3 1230-V2 works well in a Z77 motherboard though.
So, if the i7 is out because of cost, you guys think the AMD 8350 would be the best bet instead of a xeon E3-1230? Have you read anything about the E3-1230 V2?

I7 3770
CPU
Crucial 8gb ram
Memory
Msi motherboard
MotherBoard
500 watt psu
Power Supply
Corsair 200r case
Case
7200rpm 1tb hdd
Harddrive
Lg Blu-ray
Blu-Ray Burner

After Market HeatSink

Card Reader
EVGA gt 640 2gb
Graphics Card

Monitor

Keyboard and Mouse Combo

Heres a little something I whipped up with an Ivy-Bridge I7, I could even make a haswell one if you want. Let me know if you would like to see what I could whip up with an FX chip or Haswell! Or if something does not sit well with you.

The total for this specific combo of parts is $1008

I7 3770
CPU
Crucial 8gb ram
Memory
Msi motherboard
MotherBoard
500 watt psu
Power Supply
Corsair 200r case
Case
7200rpm 1tb hdd
Harddrive
Lg Blu-ray
Blu-Ray Burner

After Market HeatSink

Card Reader
EVGA gt 640 2gb
Graphics Card

Monitor

Keyboard and Mouse Combo

Heres a little something I whipped up with an Ivy-Bridge I7, I could even make a haswell one if you want. Let me know if you would like to see what I could whip up with an FX chip or Haswell! Or if something does not sit well with you.

The total for this specific combo of parts is $1008

I would love to agree, but that just is not sufficient for a editing workstation bud.

Enlighten me where it's lacking, I was trying to work off 1000 bucks and getting a monitor and keyboard/mouse with it. I thought that would be enough for a student workstation.

I was trying to make room for the i7 to get those 8threads and nice performance.

Actually we are using Sony Vegas because of the learning curve of the Adobe. Maybe as the course matures we may get into adobe but not at this point. So, does that change anything?

That is a nice build but it won't work because I have no mouse, keyboard, monitor, blu-ray burner, and card reader. That is part of the build.
I have already been told that we will not attempt any oc of any computers from the Tech head. Not that I intended that anyway.
An E3 1230-V2 works well in a Z77 motherboard though.
So, if the i7 is out because of cost, you guys think the AMD 8350 would be the best bet instead of a xeon E3-1230? Have you read anything about the E3-1230 V2?

I have been playing around with combos for an hour and I have found out that fitting in a Xeon chip will not fit the price range. If you didnt need all the peripherals and a blu ray drive it would work, but not now.
Here is what I would recommend:
CPU: AMD FX-6350 ($140)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116907
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 ($100)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB ($70)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB ($170)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB ($100)
PSU: Corsair TX650V2 ($90)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 ($15)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M6800 ($15)
Monitor: Acer 23" Monitor ($150)
Blu Ray Drive: ASUS Blu Ray Drive ($100)
Card Reader: Silverstone Card Reader ($30)

Since Sony Vegas Pro 12 is OpenCL accelerated, an AMD GPU will be a better choice. But if you plan on moving to After Effects, which is heavy on CUDA acceleration, you would want a nVidia card.

Enlighten me where it's lacking, I was trying to work off 1000 bucks and getting a monitor and keyboard/mouse with it. I thought that would be enough for a student workstation.

I was trying to make room for the i7 to get those 8threads and nice performance.

It is a lost cause trying to get a i7 into a build that has a pricetag of $1000. The build I made above is the best you can get for $1000. It may not get the best performance, but the need for a blu ray burner and monitor killed the performance aspect of this build for that price range. The threads dont help much at all in After Effects and Vegas Pro. They are more important when you are rendering video/photos at >1080P.

I just got promoted to 1200 bucks. I told them that is what I needed. What say you now? Does that help?????? Oh, and down the road in a couple of years or maybe even next, I will be adding AE or would like to. Maybe even put CS6 on a couple of them also. Depends on $ but it may happen.

I just got promoted to 1200 bucks. I told them that is what I needed. What say you now? Does that help?????? Oh, and down the road in a couple of years or maybe even next, I will be adding AE or would like to. Maybe even put CS6 on a couple of them also. Depends on $ but it may happen.

Well CS is dying, it will most likely be CC (creative cloud) when you purchase the software. Adobe has made deals with AMD recently to accelerate performance on AMD GPUs (with the use of OpenCL).

And yes, $1200 is much better. You can chose a Xeon E3-1220V3 instead of the 6350. You need to substitute the motherboard in for a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP if you go for the Haswell E3 as stated above (V3=Haswell, V2=Ivy Bridge, V1=Sandy Bridge). Make sure you are absolutely positive the Z87 will work with the Xeon.

Back