1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye Camera uses AI to erase people from photographs

By Shawn Knight · 6 replies
Jun 25, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. There’s no shortage of apps and filters designed to make people look better in photographs. For an app called Bye Bye Camera, however, the goal is quite the opposite – to erase the human element entirely.

Bye Bye Camera uses neural networks to erase people from photos, intelligently filling in the void with what it believes would otherwise be there with help from an image recognition app called Yolo. It’s not perfect – in fact, it’s not really all that great at all. You’d likely get better results tinkering around on your own in Photoshop without much experience but that imperfection is part of its charm.

In speaking to The Verge, Damjanski – the app’s creator – said he enjoys the mistakes it makes. “I’m like a small child — I’ve been taking images all the time. And when it works, great; when it doesn’t, it’s also funny.”

As such, he sees it as more of an artistic tool rather than a commercial venture that aims for perfection. “One of the things I really enjoy is that the app takes out humans, but it keeps their shadows,” he added.

If you’re interested in giving this post-human era camera app a whirl, it’s available to download on the App Store for $2.99.

Masthead credit: Person taking photo with a smartphone by Yulia Grigoryeva

Permalink to story.

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,219   +1,657

It makes people look like they have cloaking devices from Metal Gear. XD

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,518   +3,902

Wow, I want to try it on my X ......

4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +1,280

Yeah, this is a phone camera app. And, although "not bad" it still isn't very good about aligning the
    background, and cleaning up to make it NOT look altered.

5. Igrecman

Igrecman TS Maniac Posts: 300   +178

6. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Guru Posts: 505   +384

OMG I used it and my girlfriend didn't show up in the pics! I guess she was a ghost!

Demi Moore & Patrick Swayze I need your expertise & advice!

7. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,412   +629

In the first picture he's talking to the mothership with his handheld and in the next he's already beamed up. :)

cliffordcooley likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...