Call of Duty: Black Ops gets patch for dual, quad-core CPUs

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Folks disappointed in Call of Duty: Black Ops' launch bugs should be pleased to know that Treyarch hears you loud and clear. The developer says it's actively listening to the community and creating updates based on player feedback. In fact, the studio has already published a few patches as of Wednesday and Thursday, according to a post on the Black Ops forum.

On November 10, GameServers.com increased sv_maxrate to 25000 across all servers to reduce lag. That was followed by a larger update yesterday that improves performance for dual and quad-core processors as well as connectivity with the Black Ops Rcon tool, and adds a "Friends fix for join in progress and Friends tab in server browser."

Treyarch is also looking into "GPU hitching" on certain graphics cards, incomplete server browser results, improvements to Quickmatch joins (results with better ping and reduced lag), and a Zombies mode error that claims the game session is no longer available. Assuming you're running Black Ops through Steam, updates should be applied automatically.

We'll be sure to test the CPU-related patch in our upcoming performance review.

Permalink to story.

the biggest flaw of this game is no can get into matches with a party

This game sucks I much rather. Have spider monkey. Eat my eyes. Out then 2 stair
. At this game ever in my life

No thanks. The day before halloween I got BC2 for 11 dollars. That 11 dollar game blows black ops out of the water, and black ops is $60.

Intel and AMD just loves adding those cores to the cpus. The only problem is that, developers can't even use the technology properly. What's odd in all of this is that people (including the so-called "enthusiasts") get suckered into buying the quads and hex cores.

It doesn't mean that releasing a patch automatically makes the game quad-core. It simply means that they can sucker the end-user into thinking that it's actually running at quad-core by making Windows' task manager to display all 4 cores being used to appease the "overclocking" crowd.

Trust me, I know a lot of people in the overclocking scene and it doesn't take a genius to overclock a computer.

Anyone can script something that will make all the cores work. The only catch here is that, sure all cores are working, but it doesn't mean that they're actually doing anything other than acting like a glorified heater.

Game programming is a complex task by itself plus the fact that it is impossible for any developer to anticipate the type of PCs on which their game is played on given the thousands of possible configurations of gaming PCs out there. The willingness of the developer to address the deficiencies of their product based on customer feedback by pushing out timely patches is the best we can hope for at present. I'm not surprise if Black Ops ships with more than a few bugs since Activision is shipping it out barely a year after MW2.

princeton said:
No thanks. The day before halloween I got BC2 for 11 dollars. That 11 dollar game blows black ops out of the water, and black ops is $60.

Good that you mention that. I just bought BC2 today for 15 at Amazon (I know, 4 more dollars!). And I admit, COD: BO has nothing on BC2.

I actually liked Black Ops, the single player wasn't that bad. Couldn't play multi-player 'cause there's no crack for it. :p

I downloaded it and finished it, and the game is alright, but definitely NOT worth 60 bucks. Not even half. Therefore I ain't going to buy it, so I used 15 bucks out of the 60 I saved for COD: BO in case it convinced me, and bought myself BC2.

Well after finally getting the pacth the game is still using 100% of both my CPU core patch didn't fix mine that's for sure

ive heard of this my buddy hasn't had a problem yet on his machine i don't know but i personally think BC2 is better from what ive seen.

lawfer said:
princeton said:

Good that you mention that. I just bought BC2 today for 15 at Amazon (I know, 4 more dollars!). And I admit, COD: BO has nothing on BC2.

I actually liked Black Ops, the single player wasn't that bad. Couldn't play multi-player 'cause there's no crack for it. :p

I downloaded it and finished it, and the game is alright, but definitely NOT worth 60 bucks. Not even half. Therefore I ain't going to buy it, so I used 15 bucks out of the 60 I saved for COD: BO in case it convinced me, and bought myself BC2.

Also, It's not even funny how ****ing obvious it is that Activision payed reviewers to give it good scores. Just look at the reviews then look at the user ones. Even the *****s on consoles know it's a bad game.

I'm not a software developer nor am I am expert on multithreading... but these multicore processors have been out for years now and it seems there are just a handful of applications that claim to truly support it. What's the deal???? Seems like a marketing ploy to me

Another thing about games, i'm really sick of the rushed releases and lack of time spent on quality control testing. Seems to just be a game of push it out as fast as you can to get revenue, then patch it until it is barely acceptable to the masses, then bail on your product and move onto the next one. Who is to blame? Do the developers of this software really want this? Are they being pushed by their marketing department? Or do they really not care?

The whole thing just angers me... I remember in the 90's when you bought a game, it just worked. Sure the games today are a LOT more complicated, and there are tens, perhaps hundreds of times more possible hardware configurations... but damn. I'm sick of buying half-assed, incomplete products.

Oh and I saw videos of CoD BO... meh, not interested. I'm going back to my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game now...

Big companies are doing that A)To get us to buy another gamebox for our home. B)It takes longer to code for different pc configurations. Also these C.E.O.'s of companies that aren't actually doing the work wants ALL the versions to come out @ same time to rake in as much money as possible. That leaves the Pc titles to have to wait for patches. It "blows"...especially when all the games are made on a "PC" in the first place!! You cant build games on an Xbox or Ps3!! The This "I NEED IT NOW"&"Caffeinated" way of thinking is not giving good things the time to grow.

You could almost blame the internet for the so called half-arsed releases; because they know the majority can download the patches. When the internet was not as wide spread, and games couldn't be patched, they had to make sure it worked 100%

Damn internet... :p

Hey i got black ops and pc was rank 28 connected to a game my m8 was in and got kicked randomly, rejoined their game and then my rank was reset during connection

http://rapidshare.com/files/430462336/black_ops_rank_proof.jpg

Here is proof that i was lvl 28

wtf am i meant to do now + i still have major fps lag when my ping is 60-80 and on jungle its just not playable I got a AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-core processor 2.20 GHz and a 8500 GT gfx card

what a joke, it runs like complete total arse on pcs that are 600 times more powerful than any console... not going to upgrade anymore, guess is time to read some books and sht

soo.. they release a patch for multi core CPUS ?!?! really, that fast?!?!
and in the first place the game didnt supported it

yeee... suuure...

sound like a special "we heard or community all the time" crap from Treyarch.. PR crap

Wow what a bunch of uninformed mouth breather comments!!

The game ran near perfect on my machine from day one and even better after the patch.

I haven't spent much time on the single player aspect of the game but the Multiplayer is lots of fun, the only drawback is the lack of parties and I'm sure that will be fixed soon.

Side note to all the complainers: If you have a dual core from 5 years ago, or a super budget gfx card then how can you possibly expect the game to play properly? Go buy a console if you can't handle the complexity of a PC and choosing the correct hardware to last you a few years.

SilverCider said:
You could almost blame the internet for the so called half-arsed releases; because they know the majority can download the patches. When the internet was not as wide spread, and games couldn't be patched, they had to make sure it worked 100%

Damn internet... :p

I remember my first patch...Origins shipped me a CD ROM to fix the debacle that was Ultima IX.

so tru, me and my friends waited 20 minutes to find a game last night abd there was only 4 of us. cmon treyarch, step it up or im goin infinity ward. sick campaign though

WTF?! Am I misinterpreting this, or did the game only utilize one processor core before this patch? Why, in god's name, did the developer not code support for dual and quad core cpus? Dual Cores are ubiquitous now (I challenge anyone to try and buy a PC with a single core), and quad cores are also very popular, especially among PC gamers.

More evidence that this game is a poorly coded POS.

Back