Can high RAM latencies cause bad frame rates in games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapier8

I'm getting horrible frame rates in games (0-2FPS in DOD:S with an oc'd geforce 6800) and i recently had to drop the latencies to 3-5-6-8 to accomidate the errors i was getting in Memtest86. I had a bad stick of ram and i removed it and now i have 2x256MB in dual channel mode.

Can these low latencies cause terrible frame rates in games? I still am getting a few errors on test 5 with my current setup (as opposed to the thousands with the bad piece of ram). should i buy some new RAM or raise the voltage or change some of the timings?

any help would be great.

What's the rest of your machine line? CPU, etc?
Having 512MB of ram isn't helping anything but having questionable memory could be causing some problems.
You can get 1GB of good ram for under $80 now.

i have a athlon xp 2600+, msi k7n2-delta ilsr, Geil RAM (value RAM, i think) and a powmax 500w power supply. Should i only be satisfied with zero errors when testing ram or is there some leeway?

You should probably consider getting some new ram. I don't know how much it will help your framerates, but it is obvious that your current ram is having troubles keeping up. In an athlon system, ram failing test 5 is a telltale sign of cheap ram.

As for getting 0-2 fps on DOD:S, is that the only game you have having such terrible performance? Are ALL your games like that? If so, you have a major problem somewhere. Your CPU is a little dated for gaming, but not that bad, and you have an excellent GPU.

Download and run CPUz and tell us what info it is giving (screeshots if you can) for your CPU, as well as the SPD tab.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

DonNagual said:
As for getting 0-2 fps on DOD:S, is that the only game you have having such terrible performance? Are ALL your games like that? If so, you have a major problem somewhere. Your CPU is a little dated for gaming, but not that bad, and you have an excellent GPU.

DOD:S is the only game that i play that needs good system specs (the opnly other game i play is CS). My CPU can keep up with DOD:S just fine (I think) and i could always oc it. The thing with this is that sometimes it will play fine and other times it will be unplayable. It seems to depend on the map i play.

Thx for your advice.

I would suggest 2 x 512mb Ram at the least, even better would be 2 x 1gig. I would also suggest upgrading your hard drive. I personally find the 36gig raptors inexpensive and prefer to Raid them. It shines in gaming.

Edit * as I re read your original post I am thinking my post above is off base, please ignore it.

Tedster said:
Where did you learn this?

You made me search for it again to back myself up, but the answer is, from the programmers (www.memtest.org) website. Why do you ask, Tedster?

You doubted me! That is two strikes against you. The first strike was taking out that dog you had as your avatar. I loved that dog. I am still trying to forgive you for that.

www.memtest.org said:
There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

ah, the dog was being used by too many people (newbies)

You don't like my stripes? I can go back to doggie if you want me to.

I like the new avatar. Makes you look tough. Is that Staff Sargent? (in the Marine Core)

Are you in the service?

lol i just realised i hijacked this thread, sorry.

Kind of a strange topic to go out on a tangent on...a dog avatar.

Anyway, i plan on buying some new RAM when i have some spare cash.

no. I'm not a marine. I'd have to cut my test scores in half to be a marine. (just kidding guys...)

I'm a staff sergeant in the Army in real life.

Btw your 6800 is bottlenecked by your 2600 XP.
Though it's probably not a bad bottleneck .. but there will obviously be some slowdown graphic wise just because you cpu won't keep up (it'll still run good, but not as good as a full fledge 6800.

Your memory latency's are high. Why is that so ? Is it the std latency's ? If so then you've got terrible ram my friend.

If not, have you ajusted them for overclocking ? If so then I suggest you apply a bigger ram divider or you lower your fsb clock. That way you could bring down those latency's getting 2 good results. 1, faster lantency's, 2, more stable ram (ram should normally give you 0 errors, if you get any errors then you've got a crash source .. which you don't want.).

Your ram latency's shouldn't affect you frame rates that bad .. it should acutally have a minor effect.

Check out your std latency's to see if you can't 2.5 3 3 7 or 2.5 3 3 8. Even 3 4 4 8 would be better.

Anyways, before running off and spending money uselessly, I recommend that you post all the info on your ram for starters. Then if you conclude that you need or want more ram, post what exacly you are going to buy and at what price. That way we (or I at least) could help you make the best and cheapest choice :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back