Can I Overclock My RAM Over Its Limit?

That particular RAM set is only rated to 1600 MHz and while it probably will run at a faster rate than that, it's safer to get a memory set that's properly rated with an XMP profile. Unfortunately, because DDR3 is quite old now, really fast versions of this RAM are pretty expensive:

You can get DDR3 that's a little faster than 1600 MHz, though, for not too much money:

To enable the XMP Profile, go to the OC section of your motherboard's BIOS, and you should see the option to enable the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP).

That particular RAM set is only rated to 1600 MHz and while it probably will run at a faster rate than that, it's safer to get a memory set that's properly rated with an XMP profile. Unfortunately, because DDR3 is quite old now, really fast versions of this RAM are pretty expensive:

You can get DDR3 that's a little faster than 1600 MHz, though, for not too much money:

To enable the XMP Profile, go to the OC section of your motherboard's BIOS, and you should see the option to enable the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP).
The reason why I want to overclock my ram is to reduce memory bottlenecking. Can I reduce memory bottlenecking in games by having ram faster than 1600 mhz? By making my ram dual channel I have reduced memory bottlenecking to a certain degree. I get more CPU and GPU usage in games and also more fps.

The reason why I want to overclock my ram is to reduce memory bottlenecking. Can I reduce memory bottlenecking in games by having ram faster than 1600 mhz? By making my ram dual channel I have reduced memory bottlenecking to a certain degree. I get more CPU and GPU usage in games and also more fps.
Yes, using faster RAM will reduce the negative impact that the memory interface may have on a specific game. However, if a game isn't being limited by this aspect in your computer (I.e. the frame rate is GPU or CPU processing limited), then no amount of faster RAM will make any difference.

Back