Can I SLI GTX 275 and EN9600GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

Can i run an Nvidia XFX GTX 275 + an Nvidia ASUS EN9600GT on my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mainboard? I have heard that Windows 7 can allow different types of cards to run together. If so do i connect the cards with the SLI bridge connecter? Will my PSU sufficently power both cards? My specs Intel E8500, Asus P5N-32E SLI, 4Gb DDR2, Corsair TX650

Have to be the same type of cards, they can have different amounts of ram on them, but still need to be the same, brand doesnt matter either.

You can use both cards- just not in an SLI configuration.
An obvious example would be using your GTX 275 as the primary graphics renderer (i.e. as your graphics card) and use the 9600GT as a dedicated PPU (PhysX/Physics Processing unit). This would offload any gaming PhysX/Physics calculations to the 9600GT and allow the GTX 275 to render the core aspects of the game unencumbered by having to calculate the PhysX effects- *remember to enable the 9600GT in the nVidia control panel under the PhysX tab.
Assuming that your CPU and GTX275 aren't running massive overclocks and you have a fairly normal range of added componenty the TX650 should be adequate for the job.
The GTX 275 requires 2 x 6 pin PCIe power (theoretical max power 75w through the slot plus 75w via each PCIe 6 pin = 225w. TechPowerUp list 220w maximum in testing), the 9600GT has 1 x 6 pin PCIe mainly because it sits on the threshhold of the PCI-E slots power delivery. TechPowerUp's convenient chart lists max draw at 78w, which as a dedicated PPU it would not approach.
So......225w + 78w = 303w / 12 = 25.25 amps required (Your PSU is rated at 52). Factoring in your CPU, harddrives, powered peripherals, board, fans etc. you are still well within limits.
Sorry about the mega-detailed answer but rather than just answer "yes" I thought it best to explain the process behind it.

Not really...not worth buying a card over anyway.

Sorry about the mega-detailed answer but rather than just answer "yes" I thought it best to explain the process behind it.
Also the performance increase is minimal.

Not really...not worth buying a card over anyway.
I would assume that the OP upgraded from the 9600GT to the GTX275. I doubt many computer users would look at their system and say "mmmm...y'know what, I've got the GTX275 but I think it's missing something...I KNOW WHAT! I'll buy a 9600GT ! ".
Besides that stretch of the imagination, the OP's question was "Can i run an Nvidia XFX GTX 275 + an Nvidia ASUS EN9600GT on my ASUS P5N32-E SLI mainboard?"
...Also the performance increase is minimal.
My "long" answer was in relation to the calculation of required wattage/amperage....but since you brought it up, here's a Tom's Hardware review of PhysX in Batman:AA including graphs of GTX 260 solo and GTX 260 + 9600GT for PhysX -which is fairly close to the combo we're dealing with in this instance.
When it comes to minimal, I've seen less minimal differences being passed off as substantial in a not too minimal number of reviews....Ya know what I'm saying?

Thanks for all your help. I did upgrade from the EN9600GT to the GTX275. The reason i was going to put my old card in with the GTX275 is because as you probably know GTX275 runs hot, 61c idle/88c underload, sometimes 95c with all the bells and whistles on. So i was thinking share the load and maybe the temps will drop a little. However if there is only going to be a minimum performance gain and no SLI then i dont think i will bother as my GTX275 does what it says on the tin with no perceivable slow down. Again thanx for all your input.

I don't think running the other card in the machine would drop temperatures at all.
If anything it might raise the ambient temperature of the system due it it being an older card consuming more wattage at idle. And also being another component blocking airflow.

Have to be the same type of cards, they can have different amounts of ram on them, but still need to be the same, brand doesnt matter either.

For crossfire/SLI the GPU's just need to be the same architect structure otherwise it doesn't work.

share the load and maybe the temps will drop a little.
Lol no, you'd just get more frames if you could.

Meh apparently 9600 isn't that great with physX.
Better value selling it and buying a better card maybe.

I wouldn't bother reiterating the point andy.
For some of us your upgrade from 9600GT to GTX275 was readily apparent from your first post. These threads tend to take on a life of their own, especially when posters don't read/re-read the previous posts.
First point: The 9600GT is as good a PhysX card as the Tom's review (linked to) implies- whether PhysX interests you or not is another matter entirely.
Second point: IF you were to have both cards installed, you should adequate spacing between them -notably for the GTX 275 in the top most PCIe x16 slot- since you have three slots seperating your PCIe x16 (blue slots). While the heat off the 9600GT isn't entirely negligable, you would need to monitor temps since you have a very hot running chipset (680i SLI)- likewise should you pick up a second GTX 275 further down the line. If the chassis cooling is borderline-and judging by your GTX 275 temps you posted- you could stand to check the chassis airflow over the card. Maybe swap out for a better rated front fan, or if you have a side fan check to see the cross-draught isn't deflecting/disturbing air coming from the front of the case. GTX2xx cards aren't the coolest running, but with good chassis cooling they should top out at ~85-88C (with standard blower fan and shroud).

Yeh with most games on my system they top out about 85-93c, i cant complain thats at 1920*1050 with all the bells and whistles enabled. Thermal threshold of the GTX275 is 105c apparently. I have an Antec 900 so its pritty mutch covered fan wise(5 fans) thanx Dividebyzero for all your input.

As hk intimated you can raise fanspeed.
If you are using EVGA's Precision for instance you can set the card's fanspeed independently, rather than the driver raising/lowering fanspeed according to the thermal threshhold. Download is here if you don't want to register with EVGA to obtain it. Raising fanspeed to 50-60% should still keep the card fairly quiet while allowing the card to keep a bit cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back