Can you run 2 graphics cards from 2 different developers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your goal and your system. If you just want more monitors, you could have an agp 5200 and a pci 9250 in at the same time to give you up to 4 displays(IIRC). They won't "combine" power, they can just let you do several monitors.

If your talking both cards agp, it's not possible, there are no dual agp boards that I know of.

Newer pci-e motherboards can use SLI, which means you can use 2 identical nvidia cards in tandem to increase graphics power, but that's only for nvidia pci-e cards in a Sli motherboard.

Also it will cost you a good amount of cash to do this. $100-$150 for an nforce 4 sli mobo..and you would most likely want 2 Nividia 6800GTs or better, which would cost you around $300.00 for each card. But you could run games at maximum settings with absolutely no slow downs. Something I wish I could afford as a college student :bounce:

SOcRatEs said:
I did a search on Uli chipsets .
2 agp 8x
2 pci-e
I doubt it has 2 AGP slots as there are none known to do such a thing. I do know that the Uli 1695 allows for PCI-e (even SLI), AGP & PCI to work together, but no dual AGP.

SOcRatEs said:
I did a search on Uli chipsets .
2 agp 8x
2 pci-e

I don't see it at your link. AFAIK, the uli m1695 supports 1 or 2 pci-e x16 slots, 1 agp 8x slot, pci slots, and pci-e x1 slots(maybe pci-e x4 too?).

So while they can use both an agp and pci-e video card at once(and pci too if you wish), they can't support two agp, like in what I said, no dual agp boards.
Also, if you have both agp and pci-e cards at once, it's not like a sli config, it doesn't combine power of the cards, it just uses them to support more monitors.

And Bill Gates, yes a single video card supports 2 monitors, so you'd only need more than one video card if you want 3+ displays, or if you want sli.

As stated by vnf4ultra
it is one of each and no sli.
I misunderstood the article.

I was remebering agp 8x is dual port/ dvi,vga
and thought they split it on the board.

Even tyan had a beta ver dual agp that failed

jarvis said:
"Hi Stafford..can I have a $1,000 add on to my current loan...its for more books!"

I have a friend down on Univ. Cinci. campus that took out a $500 loan for beer money.
ya...hes at a community college now. friend--->puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back