Cannot uninstall Nero 10 program

adapt

Hello everyone. I'm running Windows 7 and recently installed a free trial version of the Nero 10 multimedia suite. Unfortunately I couldn't even use it because of an error during the installation. Now every time my desktop loads the following message appears. "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'status.msi' in the box below." At that point I tried reinstalling it again from the .exe file and received the same error message. It won't let me reinstall or uninstall. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have a look in 'Control Panel' , 'Programs', 'Uninstall a program', and see if there is an entry for Nero. If yes then uninstall it.
If you have the program 'CCleaner' installed, then run it in both 'Cleaner' and 'Registry' options, and it should find any leftover registry entries.
Then try to install Nero again.
My choice CD/DVD burner software, and I've tried most, is 'Trueburner', by Glorylogic.
You might want to have a look at this review;-
http://www.download3000.com/true-burner-1.1-review-61421.html
(It has many good 'tips' included, 'use a slow burning speed, not the maximum')
Worth reading. You might also find this software called 'Burnaware', it is the same.

Have a look in 'Control Panel' , 'Programs', 'Uninstall a program', and see if there is an entry for Nero. If yes then uninstall it.
If you have the program 'CCleaner' installed, then run it in both 'Cleaner' and 'Registry' options, and it should find any leftover registry entries.
Then try to install Nero again.
I tried the part in bold already as mentioned above. Is there another way to uninstall it ?
Originally I was trying to use the software to burn a playable DVD with a menu.

The most "in-depth" uninstaller is 'Revo Uninstall' as it has extra routines to search the hard drive for every last bit of code included with your problem installation.
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

With your Nero program, if you look for the folder on your C drive (if that's where it went), then open the folder and see if the 'uninstall' file is there.
If it is double-click on it, it might work 'as-is'.
You can use Nero, it should do what you want, but I prefer the program I mentioned before. It works well with CD, DVD and BlueRay discs if you need them, and have the drive to suit all three types.

The most "in-depth" uninstaller is 'Revo Uninstall' as it has extra routines to search the hard drive for every last bit of code included with your problem installation.

With your Nero program, if you look for the folder on your C drive (if that's where it went), then open the folder and see if the 'uninstall' file is there.
If it is double-click on it, it might work 'as-is'.
You can use Nero, it should do what you want, but I prefer the program I mentioned before. It works well with CD, DVD and BlueRay discs if you need them, and have the drive to suit all three types.

The original program uninstaller has never worked. The Revo uninstaller did not work either. The installation is still automatically loading itself on startup and asking for the status.msi file. Through the Revo cleanup the Nero programs are no longer in the Control Panel or Program Files list. I did find other .msi files in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\ just not the specific one the prompt is asking for. What do you recommend to resolve this issue ?

You could try booting into safe mode and removing it from there.

Nero has some running processes such as InCD that also might prevent removal. Kill them with task manager.

Sometimes buring routines access the same Windows Dlls and API, it's possible that could be causing trouble also.

I've never used it but you might also check this out. Nero has a General Cleanup Tool. See if it helps with Nero 10

/* edit */
Note you have to click the right tab on the Nero webpage to get to the right tool

You could try booting into safe mode and removing it from there.

Nero has some running processes such as InCD that also might prevent removal. Kill them with task manager.

Sometimes buring routines access the same Windows Dlls and API, it's possible that could be causing trouble also.
The thing is that it's no longer showing up in the program files list. How would I find it ?
I don't quite understand part 2 or 3 of your reply. If you could explain to this novice it would be greatly appreciated.

The thing is that it's no longer showing up in the program files list. How would I find it ?
I don't quite understand part 2 or 3 of your reply. If you could explain to this novice it would be greatly appreciated.
Before you go any further, see if your system has a restore point in memory, that predates the Nero install. Find this under Windows key > "Control Panel" > Recovery. That's worth a shot if you can find a restore point "BN" (before Nero).

Also, open up "Task Manager" and see what process are running. Ctrl + Alt + Delete) ("Process" tab) Be sure to check "show processes for all users". You could possibly upload us a screen cap of the task manager.

Have you checked "C/:" program files to find out if Nero managed to create a program folder?

You may have to open "C/:" .> (in the top menu bar), " tools" > "folder options" and check "show hidden files and folders".

Before you go any further, see if your system has a restore point in memory, that predates the Nero install. Find this under Windows key > "Control Panel" > Recovery. That's worth a shot if you can find a restore point "BN" (before Nero).

Also, open up "Task Manager" and see what process are running. Ctrl + Alt + Delete) ("Process" tab) Be sure to check "show processes for all users". You could possibly upload us a screen cap of the task manager.

Have you checked "C/:" program files to find out if Nero managed to create a program folder?

You may have to open "C/:" .> (in the top menu bar), " tools" > "folder options" and check "show hidden files and folders".
The earlier version of Nero did not work. The task manager just shows the stalled installation as Status. What exactly am I looking for in the task manager that you would like to see a screen cap of ? I copied and pasted the entire text of the Status message in the original post.

Thanks again for all the help. Sorry I'm not making much progress here. Nothing seems to work.

Adding more info...
To clarify, LookinAround's suggestion with the other version of Nero did not work.

There are only 2 restore points appearing and they are from this week. I installed the program 2 or 3 weeks ago.

As mentioned above the Revo removed the program files listings. There is nothing in the program files or start menu. The folder options already has hidden files and folders to be shown.

As mentioned before there are a few errant Nero .msi files in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\ but none are status.msi.

Thanks again for all the help. Sorry I'm not making much progress here. Nothing seems to work.

As was suggested earlier, you might try "CCleaner" in both file cleanup and registry cleaned mode. Newest version here at TS: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/132-ccleaner.html

This program: http://www.tweaknow.com/ (registry cleaner freeware) has been useful to me in the past also. (I have not used the newer versions).

At one time, Nero when installed, would leave about 120 garbage entries in the system registry. This was Nero 6, I can't speak to the newer versions.

I can't exactly answer your question about, "what are we looking for in task manager". It would be more of a, "I'd know it if I saw it, or Google it until I did", sort of thing.

As was suggested earlier, you might try "CCleaner" in both file cleanup and registry cleaned mode. Newest version here at TS: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/132-ccleaner.html

This program: http://www.tweaknow.com/ (registry cleaner freeware) has been useful to me in the past also. (I have not used the newer versions).

At one time, Nero when installed, would leave about 120 garbage entries in the system registry. This was Nero 6, I can't speak to the newer versions.

I can't exactly answer your question about, "what are we looking for in task manager". It would be more of a, "I'd know it if I saw it, or Google it until I did", sort of thing.

What I meant is which tab or tabs in task manager did you want a screencap of ? The first one only shows the error message of the stalled installation as "Status."

Another suggestion: Download Autoruns. Doube click autoruns.exe to run it
> Wait till status in lower left corner says Ready
> Click File->Save, save as a text (.txt) file and attach to TechSpot post with the paper clip icon

Autoruns will show everything loaded/started on reboot and login. Since you keep getting the error message on reboot and when desktop loads, there might be a Nero startup we can at least disable/delete that will stop that annoying message

Back