Cant activate windows but can acces internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

hello all, yet another problem. For some reason I cant activate my copy of Windows XP home. It is a legal version and I've installed it on this computer before. It has installed just fine but for some reason I cant activate it over the internet even though I have an internet connection (i'm using that PC right now)... It just comes up with message number 32777 (unable to establish a connection with the activation server. Please check your network settings and confirm that are able to connect to the internet, then try again.)

I though the problem was that I already have the same copy installed on another harddrive but in the same pc, but asumed that it would come up with another sort of error. I will unplug that other hard drive anyways just to be sure...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

Ok, I unplugged the harddrive but excactly the same thing is happening....

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

I cant log onto MSN messenger or anything either... Basically the only thing I can do is use internet explorer....

HELP PLEASE!!

Regards,

Korrupt

If you haven't already, check your system's date and time. Is it accurate? This is one of the major causes for the 32777 error (but not always).

If Don's advice does not work , just call it in it will save you a lot of aggravation. That system just does not always work right, and I think Microsoft just randomly forces a check of owners legitimacy??????

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, system date and time are accurate. I would call it in, but since I also cannot connect to MSN messenger or even windows messenger, I'll asume there is a problem somewhere else. I have reformatted this pc several times before and had no problems what so ever with anything.

Regards,

Korrupt

tahts very weird, happened to me a few times, i could ping stuff, websites but my IE, Msn, and other programs needing out goign connections ere all down.

BUt i was online! , the router was fine, and i could ping google and or internode.

Just rebooted, problem solved.

Looks like urs is more complicated....

did you install your NIC drivers

anlso what kind of firewall are u using as it may be restricting access to the intnet

I didnt think I needed to install NIC drivers since I've reformatted that pc over 5 times with ABSOLUTELY no problems at all. I have not installed anything except for Windows XP Home so far...

Yes, I think it is a problem with ports also, I will run that test and let you know.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Korrupt

Ok, both ports seem to be open.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Korrupt

I don't know. I thought about an outdated BIOS too, but I don't understand why I would've been able to do it a few times before.

Maybe I should just try to install it again? There is nothing on there atm so it wont hurt. Unless you or anyone else have any more suggestions, I will do that when I get home.

Regards,

Korrupt

all firewalls an antivirus software is off when u try to activate rite, i tihnk it may be the problem

jsut one more shoot

did you get a new firewall or router maybe it has an FW

I've only seen this issue on systems with the bios date wrong. Reformat and be careful to pay attention to the install process of XP. Maybe some configuration error happened when XP was setting up the Internet properties.

Don't you have to be online even when you telephone MS to activate? The Activation window is open and you enter the key provided by the MS representative, and then click finish... I never tried this offline. Microsoft is doing what they call Validating software now. It is done on every copy of XP before you can install most of the XP updates. You have to Activate before you are allowed to Validate. I have an old XP Home install disc. It is pre SP1. On the last install, it flashed "illegal software" momentarily before I activated it over the phone. I bought this copy of XP Home at Best Buy when XP was first released

msn messenger is independant of windows.. its just another chat IM client..

what error does msn come up when you try to connect?

If you're using the new Windows Live Messenger you'll need to transfer your hotmail/passport account to the Live Mail Beta thing..

If its timeing out or everything looks ok (troubleshooter checks out) but still wont connect maybe change your router's MTU to 1400 (trick i picked up).. its somewhere in the WAN configuration somewhere..

Have you tried using the onboard modem (dailup) or connect directly to your broadband modem (bypass the router)?

I am using a router and modem in one. The error message msn messenger comes up I cannot remember and since I am reformatting AGAIN, I cant check. I think it was like "Windows messenger cannot establish a connection". I also though it could perhaps be a router problem, but I have another computer hooked up to it to which is working fine.

I will let you know how the reformat goes.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

Regards,

Korrupt

How many times have you re-installed that same version of Windows? I'm assuming that it's WinXP Pro... they have a cap on the number of times that you can re-install it & then it will give you the "can't activate, please call or provide a different Product Key" message... do you still have your original "wpa.dbl" file from your previous boot? If not, there are 2 options in getting around the activation... 1. call microsoft directly & tell them you need a different Product Key for your activation or wpakill...

Thank you, I ended up calling microsoft and they activated it for me. I cant seem to do anything with Microsoft but I think I may know what this is caused by, but can't be bothered going into details. I don't need those things anyways.

Regards,

Korrupt

You should just call Microsoft and get it activated then....it saves time. Also, disable all firewalls and anti-virus programs. Then retry. If that fails, try reinstalling your network card drivers, update them, disable firewalls and anti-virus programs, open all ports, and try again.

Windows Activation

Hey guys/girls

(1st post)
I found this site useful, so i thought i would share my own experience with win xp activation. After reading throught this set of posts, i continued searching for a reason why i couldnt activate windows... which came up to a M$ website which wanted me to allow certain web pages in my security settings. I thought to myself i could do that, or lower my firewall... which worked first go. i know this may not work for everyone, but it certainly did for me. good luck all

-ADZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back