Can't change my resolution back to 1440x900 after changing VGA cable

I was always using 1440x900 resolution on my computer, as it was my monitor's (LG Flatron w1942s) native resolution. So, today I bought a new VGA cable. When I plugged it, I realised that view was pretty messed up. When I checked in screen resolution settings, there was no 1440x900 option. I tried everything I could- re-plugged the cable, restarted PC a bunch of times, but nothing changed. I tried to add 1440x900 resolution manually through NVIDIA Control Panel as custom resolution, but when I tested it, the view was totally messed up. The last thing I tried before writing here was updating grafic card's drivers, but it didn't help either.
So, simple question- what's wrong? My GPU is GeForce GTX 650. And sorry for my english.

Strange problem indeed. What exactly was the reason for changing cables? Do you still have the old cable to continue using?

Strange problem indeed. What exactly was the reason for changing cables? Do you still have the old cable to continue using?
Looks like I found the problem. Just changed the cable and the resolution came back to normal. I forgot probably the most simple step to check for the problem :D Anyway, thx for the answer

So, the story's not over yet :D Just plugged the new cable back and the resolution is normal! So, as a rookie in tech things, I've got a very strange, maybe even stupid question- couldn't I just confuse the ends of the VGA wire? They're completely identical and I thought that plugging one end of the VGA cable or another couldn't affect the view at all, but what if? :D

Had the same experience today. Monitor was LG though the resolution was 1366*768. This one totally missed from the list. All rest resolutions were there. Reason for changing was purchased a gold plated white colour VGA cable which almost costed me thrice .

You should only change your cable if you know you have a problem with it.
As for buying gold plated VGA cables at 3 times the price, well, I wouldn't.

You should only change your cable if you know you have a problem with it.
As for buying gold plated VGA cables at 3 times the price, well, I wouldn't.

Yes, but can you believe that all VGA cable won't support all resolutions. And this new cable did work good on my Panasonic TV.

Back