Athlon XP 1600+
ECS K75SA
2 x 512 MB PC133 SDRAM
SB Live! Value
MSI Geforce2 Ti
80 + 60 GB HD
LG GSA-4040B DVD Recorder
Liteon 48x16x48x CD Writer

I've had no problems with it before. But a week ago, I bought an ATI AIW 9600 Pro and was about to install it. So I had to shut off my machine to do it (obviously), but accidently pushed restart in Windows XP instead. The screen went black and I waited for the "beep" and POST but nothing happened. I looked down at my tower and saw my two cdroms constantly being accessed (regardless of whether or not there are cdroms inside) with my harddrive access light on permanently and my monitor would be off. This would persist for a couple mins and then a beep from the PC speaker would sound, my monitor would come back to life and POST would begin.

However, this is no longer the case as my computer stays in this weird state and cannot boot up anymore, not even POST. Can somebody PLEASE give me a hand here? I am really confused. I tried unplugging my cdrom, harddrive, sound card, video card, RAM, etc, but it still doesn't help at all!

try reseating the video card another few times to make SURE it's in properly (nevermind you never even switched them) what power supply are you using? try taking out one of the sticks of sdram as two can cause a conflict with this board.

I would say mainly check out your Power Supply, I have the same mobo. And have had similar things happen to me...

Believe me, I tried reseating the video card many times. I've even taken it out and try to boot it, no go. I've also tried to put my old Geforce 2 Ti back in but still didn't work.

A different PSU? But this PSU has been working fine for over a year now. Also considering the fact that I've taken out all the parts of the system and just left the video card and one stick of SDRAM, I don't think those parts will suck too much power.

Anyone have any ideas on this problem? I've seen on other forums as well that ppl have been experiencing this problem but doesn't seem like anyone has solved it yet.

The description on my power supply:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunny Technologies Co. Ltd.
CWT ATX-300 ATX 2.01

Max DC Output
+3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5SB
14A 30A 10A 0.5A 0.5A 1.5A

Peak Output 160W Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I see several other ppl having this problem also, is it a virus that's attacking the mobo or is it just a defect in the mobo itself? If it is a defect in the mobo, why did the problems suddenly decide to surface now?

With the problem as is, where do u guys think the problem mainly lies? Mobo? CPU? PSU?

*edit*

I forgot to add something, when the computer actually does decide to boot up, I can be playing games or doing whatever the hell I want for as long as I want and it won't crash or hardlock or anything like that. But as soon as I reboot, the problem is there. If it was the PSU, wouldn't it suddenly power down or something like that? :confused:

But then again, its decided not to go to POST at all now.... :(

Its got to be the PSU, I'm almost Positive, the Peak output(160w) listed there is referring most likely to the +5V and +3.3V combined, and that is FAR too low(It should be atleast 200w). Get a new PSU...thats the last time I'm going to give you the advice....If you honestly refuse to believe me, then just find another PSU from another somputer and switch it in, you'll find out that I am right......

PSU's fail all the time, especially when they are cheap brands like the one you listed...do yourself a favor and pick up atleast a 350w Antec or Thermaltake..or any other good brand PSU.....

vassil3427:

Alright, I understand the PSU can fail, just that it suddenly doesn't provide enuf wattage when it has always been fine before boggled me. I'm not refusing to believe u, I just want to explore all possibilities. The reason I haven't tried to use another power supply is that my other PSU's from my other computers are provide even less power than that, so I'm just seeing what else I can do to solve this problem before I go out and buy parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back