Can't read Chinese characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rliu

I have a weird problem, I can read webpages and even input Chinese characters on my computer but when I download a programme written in Chinese characters I can only see the annoying codes, how do I deal with this?

You would have to have a Chinese version of windows in order to install a Chinese program in many cases.

I used to run Engish windows, and as you said, I was able to view Japanese websites, and input Japanese characters, but I couldn't install any Japanse software into my comptuer without the characters getting all messed up.

The good news is, the opposite is NOT true. If you buy a Chinese version of windows, all English software works no problem.

I have heard that Windows Vista will allow us to select what language version we want to run, and with the click of a tab, switch from language to language (like you can with a Mac). I hope this is true!

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Instead of buying / installing a different language version of Windows, you could also install a Multilingual User Interface to Windows.

Unless things have changed recently, this is not the same as having the actual native language version of windows. As of two years ago, I could not install Japanese software on my English operating system, even after installing language packs. The system could not display Japanese characters.

I COULD read/write in Japanese using my English software like Word for example, but I could not install a Japanese version of word so all my menus were Japanese.

And the worst part of it all is that the mac users were rubbing this in my face, as they claim with a mac you just hit a button, and your entire OS switches to another language version of your choice! Nice.

That's what I have heard Vista will also be offering.

Mictlantecuhtli, your link kind sounds like windows can actually do what I am dreaming of.... could it be true? I would like to know if anyone has tried, and if it is actually the same as installing a different language version of the OS.

nihongo.png

:p

Seriously though, I don't know if MUIs work with applications in different languages, I've never tried them.

Unable to read Chinese characters

we have the official chinese word office being installed,
but we just wondering why the SMS programe we have can't send chinese,
and what recepients get will be "??????" only....

please help, your help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I have a weird problem, I can read webpages and even input Chinese characters on my computer but when I download a programme written in Chinese characters I can only see the annoying codes, how do I deal with this?

Did you install the language pack from WinXP?
Try go to your Control Panel > Regional and Language Options
Than switch to chinese (Taiwan) and restart your PC. If still can't than switch to
other chinese type and restart PC again.

Or maybe it be cos of your browser? Set encoding to BIG5 or UT8 (if i'm not wrong). If you are using IE you click on view -----> encoding choose more and select chinese simplified or chinese traditional see does it works for you?

If the above methods don't work, you can try to open "regional and language option", click the last tab (mine is administrative because im using vista, xp should have a different name) and you should see current language for non-unicode programs. This should be currently in english. Try to change this to chinese (assuming you already have chinese language installed). I set mine as chinese simplified PRC. Those chinese you can see are unicode (or UTF-8). its standard for all PC. But old chinese are using big5 or some legacy language. Which might be your problem.

cant Read chinese characters in my SMS on mobile

Thanks for your reply.

I have a SMS gateway deployed on my server, I can receive Chinese message on my gateway but when i tried to send SMS through gateway, SMS occurs on mobile as "?????" instead of Chinese characters...any idea why I am not able to see Chinese characters on my mobile...?

Thanks in advance.your reply will be appreciated.

Chinese characters

Thanks for your reply.

I can see SMS proper on Moblie when send through mobile but when I send through SMS gateway I cant read SMS.any idea whats the problem is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back