Can't start up after software install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SageOfTheWabash

One of the reasons that I want to learn how to roll my own is this;

I recently reformatted my main desktop as I have several times in the past few years, for various reasons. After installing the software and drivers from my "Intel Desktop Boards" disk, I noticed that the on board audio was functioning. I don't recall ever seeing it before. I think that I always unchecked that box when installing these drivers in the past. I have "Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum". All was going well. I had restarted a couple of times. Then I installed the Audigy software. When I restarted, the fans came on and some other noises that I think could be hard drives, but nothing on screen. I tried to use the F8 key to access the boot screen in order to enter safe mode. No good. I tried to use the delete key to enter bios. No good. I tried to boot to disc and reformat again, being willing simply to start over. No good.

Basically I am stuck with a blank screen and no ideas. I know just enough about computers to look really stupid among those who actually do know a lot about computers. So let me ask a potentially embarrassing question.

Is it possible that having the on board audio turned on and running caused a fatal conflict of some kind when I installed the Audigy software?

I hope someone can help. This was a pretty good system when purchased in late 02. I love it dearly. This rig does it all for me.

Purchased from ibuypower.com late in '02
Here are some specs on the system in question:
MOBO-INTEL D845PEBT2 DDR333
PS-ENERMAX EG465P-VE 430
CPU-INTEL 3.O6GHZ P4 HT
MEM-CORSAIR 512MB PC2700 HEAD X2
WD 180GB 7200 8MB JB
WD 120 7200 8MB WD120JB
VC- RADEON 9700PRO A-I-W 128MB
OPT DR-SONY 16X DVD
OPT DR-PIONEER DVDRW 8X4X2X1
SC-CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM
OS-XP PRO

Nothing you do with software can affect the POST process. If your computer freezes before the OS, then you have hardware problems.

Thanx Nodsu, I suppose that means a trip to my local computer repair shop. These guys charge around $100 for a residential house call. What can I expect to pay for a diagnostic in their shop? That is to say what would be considered an excessive charge just to tell me what is wrong with my rig?

Remove the Audigy sound card, then try to reboot. If there was a conflict, that should temporarily resolve it. If it reboots, you can go into the BIOS, disable the onboard sound, shut down, reinstall the Audigy card and be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back