Case/PSU vs. PSU only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahnadahodo

Hello! :D

I know everyone has their own opinions about how things should be done. I'm hoping that getting yours will help me make my decision.

I'm going to be trying to build my first PC soon and I'm down to picking the PSU.

Originally, I was going to buy a Case/PSU combo, but now I'm not sure about it.

I've acquired an ATX PC that I could strip and use the case from.

Questions:

1. Which would be a better way to go? I've heard some people say that PSU's that come pre-installed in cases are not so good.

2. If I were to purchase just the PSU and use the case that I have, would I need to look for anything special to make sure it would mount properly, or are the PSU's pretty universally mounted?

3. I've been looking at this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-006&depa=0
What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ahnadahodo

P.S.
I've also seen PSU's (as well as other components) sold as "OEM" and "Retail", what would the difference be?

Generally speaking PSU that comes with the case are of lower quality. Personally, I think its a personal preference.

Some reputable PSU manufacturers include Antec, Enermax and etc. You might be better off buying a PSU from them.

As long as its an ATX power supply, the power supply should be able to fit properly into any ATX case.

Comparing PSU's

Thanks Young & Wild,

I've also been reading at some other forums and have learned a lot.

One forum had a list of "Good" and "Bad" PSU makers, it was very interesting to see what experiences other people have had.

That takes me to my next concern, I think I'm getting this thing narrowed down.

The other forum had listed among their "Good" PSU makers, Thermaltake and Enlight. I've been considering Thermaltake, as you can see from my first post, now I've also looked into Enlight.

Here are the 2 PSU's I'm looking at right now:

Thermaltake- www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-006&depa=0

Enlight- www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-604&depa=0

From what I can tell, they're pretty much the same, unless I'm missing something (I don't know exactly what all of the specs. mean).

I would like someone more experienced to check them out and give feedback.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

ahnadahodo

P.S.
These are the potential components of the system I'm planning to build:

Motherboard: MSI 865G Neo2-PLS (MSI Part No. MS-6728-090)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.80C GHz (Intel Part No. BX80532PG2800D)
RAM: Kingston ValueRam, PC2700 512MB x 2 sticks (Kingston Part No. KVR333/512)
or
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Hard Drive: Western Digital, 160GB 7200RPM, IDE (Western Digital Model No. WD1600JD)

Plus--CD-RW, DVD+/-RW, and ZIP Drives

Specifications look strikingly similar, makes me think it's the same PSU but different label. I'd choose the Enlight one because its list of approvals (Thermaltake has some too, I'm quite sure, but apparently they don't care to tell).

Hmmmm!

Mictlantecuhtli,

Now that's what I thought and when you put it that way, I compared the photos of the two side-by-side.

Hmmm! they look strangely similar except for the labels.

Thanks for the input, :bounce:

ahnadahodo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back