Check out all of the Xbox Series X game reveals and new trailers

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Microsoft held its Inside Xbox livestream today and had several "World Premiere" trailers for games coming to the Xbox Series X. Several were games we knew would be presented, such as the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla gameplay teaser and Madden 21, but there were some surprises too, like a new trailer for Scorn, which has not been in the news cycle for a while.

First up is the Madden 21 reveal presented by Kansas City Chiefs' quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Gameplay for Madden 21 was very briefly revealed in a montage showing the evolution of the Madden franchise. The glimpse looked polished but was far too short to get too excited over.

Dirt 5 debuted, showing several locales including tracks in an industrial city, a tropical island, and a snowy alpine course. Of course, as always, the cars are modeled after real-world vehicles from various makers, including Ford, Porsche, Aston Martin, and more.

Sega unveiled Yakuza: Like a Dragon back in September at the Tokyo Game Show. The game is quite a departure from the Yakuza series with its turn-based combat and zany minigames. Today's cinematic trailer reveals a bit of the story behind the game.

Paradox Interactive had a new trailer for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, and it is dark, creepy, and gory. Skip this teaser if you are faint of heart. "Choose to be brutal and unflinching or cultured and seductive. Use charm, cunning, terror, and sheer will to rise through vampire society. What monster will you be?"

Another world premiere Microsoft had lined up was for a new psychological horror game called The Medium. Players are thrust into the shoes of a medium who lives in both the real world and the spirit realm. To represent the duality of the game, developer Bloober (makers of Layers of Fear) got composers Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski to create a "dual soundtrack."

Bright Memory Infinite got the next-gen treatment with a new trailer. Set in the year 2036, the game combines the elements of a first-person shooter with swordplay and a little bit of parkour thrown in for good measure.

Scorn has been a long time coming. Initially announced in 2014 for PC, the game seemed ill-fated after a failed Kickstarter campaign. After a cash injection from an angel investor, the game is now coming to both PC and XBSX, but still does not have even a vague release date.

Deep Silver, the studio behind the Metro series, invites you to "become Nara and Forsaken, her sentient starfighter, on a compelling, personal journey of redemption" in Chorus. The game is Deep Silver's take on a space-flight shooter and is due out next year.

Call of the Sea is a beautiful, albeit cartoonish, adventure set in the 1930s on a tropical island. The protagonist is looking for the lost expedition of her husband and must puzzle her way through mysteries of a lost civilization.

Fans of the 1997 dino-hunting game Turok, may enjoy Second Extinction. The futuristic 3-player co-op title has you battling mutated dinosaurs to save the Earth.

"In a far distant future, humanity's last hope falls into the hands of an elite group of psionic soldiers, who battle an invincible threat known as, Others." Bandai Namco's Scarlet Nexus is a strange-looking hack-n-slash where you battle plant-people (aliens?) with a sword and psionic abilities. It has a cool-looking anime style, set in a cyberpunk city.

Speaking of cyberpunk, Neon Giant's The Ascent almost feels like a top-down Cyberpunk 2077 shooter. The gameplay is reminiscent of Neon Chrome. Not much has been revealed about it, but it will feature both solo and co-op play.

There was also a gameplay trailer for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, but you can check that out in our separate coverage.

It looks like the Xbox Series X will not suffer from a lack of titles if today's showcase was just a fraction of what is coming to the next-gen console. While not all are slated for day-one, we should see a fair showing of decent titles coming with the XBSX launch this holiday season.

Permalink to story.

No wow factor. At all. The wait for the next gen to begin continues, it doesn't start until I see something that can't be done on existing machines.

All this is already doable on the newest games on PC, but it's great that in 2021 it will be the norm! :) Bright Memory Infinite was the only one that looked truly next gen in IMHO, and that's mainly due to the weather effects and the physics + reflections. Modern consoles would choke trying to do all that.

Most of these were weird at best. Maybe 1 or 2 I'd consider getting down the line.

Good thing (from what I understand) they have quite a few more games to reveal (or show gameplay of)...

The true next gen innovation was in RT (Minecraft's lighting system), but most of it was showcase on PC and from Nvidia. I guess we will continue to see Nvidia push raytracing. Maybe they could do two consoles, one with focus on raytracing, and the rest as normal as it can be, ie these announced consoles. I digress, probably raytracing will still be based on marketing, and less on implementation.
I wonder if they would port metro exodus on next gen consoles, with rt support though.

And the circle continues, The first batch of games are shown, Then the complaining starts then in years time the first party games start coming out and blow the last-gen out of the water. the same thing happened the last 3 gens The fact that each of the games shown looks like they running at 60FPS is just the first taste.

And the circle continues, The first batch of games are shown, Then the complaining starts then in years time the first party games start coming out and blow the last-gen out of the water. the same thing happened the last 3 gens The fact that each of the games shown looks like they running at 60FPS is just the first taste.

This, pretty much.

Frankly, we aren't going to see the true limit-pushers until closer to the end of the console generation -- look at Red Dead Redemption 2/God of War for examples.

But we'll start seeing reasonably (or even very) impressive stuff after more developers have actually gotten the chance to develop for these consoles from the ground up; without needing to simultaneously release for last-gen.

If you are developing cross-gen, you are, unfortunately, always going to be restricted. Sure, you can pretty up the next-gen version (just like PC players can always crank up the settings for better visuals), but next-gen brings so much more than just graphical fidelity to the table: game-design wise, none of us are prepared for how big of a leap this is likely to be thanks to SSDs.

And many of us gamers here in the TS community, as (I presume) mostly PC players, will naturally reap the benefits of that leap. The fewer restrictions devs face from the console front, the better it is for everyone.

The true next gen innovation was in RT (Minecraft's lighting system), but most of it was showcase on PC and from Nvidia. I guess we will continue to see Nvidia push raytracing. Maybe they could do two consoles, one with focus on raytracing, and the rest as normal as it can be, ie these announced consoles. I digress, probably raytracing will still be based on marketing, and less on implementation.
I wonder if they would port metro exodus on next gen consoles, with rt support though.
Bright Memory Infinite uses RT on the XSX.

That game was also the most graphically impressive game shown. Anyone that didn't find that impressive simply doesn't know what they're looking at.

The other two notable ones are Call of the Sea and The Medium.

Frankly, we aren't going to see the true limit-pushers until closer to the end of the console generation -- look at Red Dead Redemption 2/God of War for examples.

But we'll start seeing reasonably (or even very) impressive stuff after more developers have actually gotten the chance to develop for these consoles from the ground up; without needing to simultaneously release for last-gen.
That gap should be shorter this time round, as the current crop of console and the forthcoming ones are very PC-like in their internal structure and software layers. The 360-to-One and PS3-to-PS4 transitions really weren’t helped by how different the successive platforms were.

The new ones are also the PC-like that consoles have ever been, and I mean that in the sense that they have an abundance of hardware resources. Go back a few generations and the hardware design choices, often specific to one platform, always forced numerous compromises to be made: now both systems are very similar and none of the components are totally unique.

We can thank the big developers for this: they’ve never been happy about having to write multiple different versions of game, and they have almost certainly been pressuring Microsoft and Sony to meet their demands. I’m they would have preferred their consoles to be more unique, but the cost of making AAA titles pretty much makes this unlikely to ever happen again.

That gap should be shorter this time round, as the current crop of console and the forthcoming ones are very PC-like in their internal structure and software layers. The 360-to-One and PS3-to-PS4 transitions really weren’t helped by how different the successive platforms were.

The new ones are also the PC-like that consoles have ever been, and I mean that in the sense that they have an abundance of hardware resources. Go back a few generations and the hardware design choices, often specific to one platform, always forced numerous compromises to be made: now both systems are very similar and none of the components are totally unique.

We can thank the big developers for this: they’ve never been happy about having to write multiple different versions of game, and they have almost certainly been pressuring Microsoft and Sony to meet their demands. I’m they would have preferred their consoles to be more unique, but the cost of making AAA titles pretty much makes this unlikely to ever happen again.

I believe you're right, and I can't wait to see the sort of games and game technologies that will arrive in these consoles' wake.

Out of curiosity, does your thinking apply to developing cross-gen as well?

One of the fears I'm sure some developers -- or, more accurately, publishers -- have is slow adoption rates for the latest consoles. The PS5 and XSX's pricing will be a key factor where that's concerned, I expect.

Sort of countering myself, I suppose this might only apply to devs who create and release games quickly. The projects that take 5-6 years to develop probably wouldn't be affected as much.

Not alot of next-gen graphics... in the slightest.

Another reason why consoles aren't what they used to be.

Sorry, but name me one PC game looking better than most of those games? Remove your fanboy google, even I admit it is next gen for some of those.

Sorry, but name me one PC game looking better than most of those games? Remove your fanboy google, even I admit it is next gen for some of those.
Red Dead Redemption 2? :D I'm kidding.

In my opinion, just about all of the games we saw in the reveal were drop-dead gorgeous. Not *quite* what the consoles are fully capable of, I'm sure, and in some cases not even particularly next-gen looking, but as we've been discussing above, those visuals will come in time (perhaps sooner than I thought).

Uh, the majority of AAA PC games on high graphics settings that have come out since 2018? No Google needed whatsoever, just some perspective.

Back