1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Check out the awesome new League of Legends cinematic

By midian182 · 11 replies
Jan 22, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Even if you’ve never touched a MOBA in your life, the video is worth viewing. It tells three separate stories: Camille on a mission to arrest criminal psychopath Khada Jhin as he plays piano in an orchestra hall, Riven fighting in the Coliseum before taking on Draven, and Irelia, with the help of Karma, Yasuo, Kennen and Akali, fighting Sion and the Noxian army.

As with other League of Legends cinematics, the music in the clip is a highlight. Awaken features the vocals of Valerie Broussard and the sounds of violinist Ray Chen. If you find the tune stuck in your head, good news: it's available on Spotify starting from today.

Despite only being released yesterday, the video has already clocked up over 7 million views on YouTube. But it’s still got a way to go before beating LoL’s previous cinematics. RISE is close to 100 million views, while the K/DA POP/STARS video boasts over 150 million. Riot Games and League of Legends Global Head of Communications, David Higdon, said to expect more extensions to the LoL IP in 2019.

While many might believe the title belongs to Fortnite, League of Legends remains the most played game in the US and Europe. Like DOTA 2, the game is free and runs on even the most potato-like of PCs. We pick LoL over its rival in our Best PC Games (You Should Be Playing) feature as it's considered easier to play and learn.

Permalink to story.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,876

Gotta love a false representation. Unless game play has changed the last five years. I'm still not interested.

MaitieS likes this.
  3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,111   +1,532

Yea, I'm not a fan of LoL or Dota.

Video looks like it was well done though.

MaitieS likes this.
  4. Mr Majestyk

Mr Majestyk TS Booster Posts: 102   +67

Too bad this wasn't actual gameplay. Great video though.

5. iamcts

iamcts TS Addict Posts: 216   +148

Riot Games is really stepping it up on their cinematic teasers.

I don't really play LoL any more, but I watch the North American pro scene pretty religiously.

6. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,811   +1,327

At least they got something right.

7. EndRessentiment

EndRessentiment TS Enthusiast Posts: 37   +20

I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. Too over the top for me, too little substance - too many moments that seemed off.

8. kevbev89

kevbev89 TS Addict Posts: 133   +121

Riven's face seems very off, but all the other characters were models pretty spot on.

9. IMO K/DA is overrated, a bad song, and rise deserved more views.
    Is it me or does it feel like they put more efforts into the Cinematics.

10. cliffordcooley

That is what people do. They dress up to cover all the crap inside. The expression painting a turd comes to mind.

11. Now I'm imagining someone putting dresses on turds...

12. cliffordcooley

Sorry I didn't mean to mentally damage anyone. lol

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...