Chipset update causes BSOD

Terwilliger

I have an nforce 730a and every time I update the chipset drivers I get a BSOD. Its recreatable so if this DMP file doesnt help I can get another.

Attachments

• 123106-114801-01.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 2
It may be a memory problem... or a problem hard drive
atapi.sys and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Atapi.sys has to do with the hard drive controller

I'm not sure whether Terwilliger is trying to solve a problem or simply creating one by pursuing an unnecessary update. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It is broken though. I cant update my video drivers because they are incompatable with my current Chipset drivers.

Nforce 730a Mobo
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card
8 GB OCZ Geforce DDR2 Ram
Phenom II 940 3.0 GHz Processor
800 Watt Power Supply
Ive tried an IDE and SATA HDD but they both have the same effects

You might need to install Windows fresh and make sure you go to the motherboards support site and download all the motherboard drivers from there

I have done this. I have tried Windows XP/Vista/7. It does the same thing for all of them. I think its a hardware issue. But I cant figure out what it is.

"It is broken though. I cant update my video drivers because they are incompatable with my current Chipset drivers." Sorry to be slow but how do things look if you don't update the video drivers and use the originals. It is a motherboard with onboard graphics isn't it? I have an old XP tower connnected to a large screen TV. I had to go back through the archived nVidia drivers before I found some that worked. Since then I've been slow to "update" drivers.

Well, when you install the new motherboard and install Windows, be sure to only install the network driver from the supplied disc, so you can get to the motherboards support website and download all the latest chipset driver and then install all the other drivers from there. Stick with an antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials and a temp file cleaner from Oldtimer... Keep any attached USB devices to a minimum during the initial Windows install

Don't worry about problems with the old motherboard now that you've replaced it. It'll be easy enough to find some more with the new one.

bazz2004, don't be so hard on Terwilliger. If he needs to find trouble with all things, maybe his computer will actually be one less thing for him to trouble about now :)

You're right but computers are generally reliable these days. If you just looked at this section of the forum you'd never want one. How many of these problems are self inflicted via compulsive updating, slapping in the max amount of the wrong ram and installing supa doopa hardware which the system can't handle?

Back